Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Has anyone had nhs counselling? What can I expect?

(6 Posts)
CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Tue 28-Oct-08 22:20:52

I got referred for counselling last week as I'm feeling depressed. I expected to have a 2-3 month wait but have been sent an appointment through for 10th November. What do they do? I've never had counselling before. What do I say? Would appreciate hearing others' experiences. Thanks smile

catweazle Tue 28-Oct-08 22:32:33

I got 6 weeks counselling on the NHS last year.

On the first appt they talk through how you are feeling and ask you to fill in a questionnaire. Depending on your score they will either start you straight away or tell you you aren't actually depressed.

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Tue 28-Oct-08 22:34:43

Thanks catweazle. It's a bit scary, I'm not good at talking to strangers. The HV has got me to fill in the postnatal depression questionnaire twice as a guide to how I'm feeling and I scored quite highly. How do you know what to talk about?

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Tue 28-Oct-08 22:50:11

Anyone else?

catweazle Thu 30-Oct-08 18:24:52

A good counsellor should be able to draw you out by asking leading questions. Don't worry grin

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Thu 30-Oct-08 19:37:10

OK thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now