Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

What will happen?

(4 Posts)
venusdreamz Tue 08-Mar-05 15:04:05

I've been planning to get pregnant soon but having suffered depression since high school and still having big bouts of it now.I was just wondering if anyone knew whether there is a higher chance that I could suffer from post natal depression? I'm worried that if its likely, then I won't be able to bond properly with my child. what do you think? x x

Nemo1977 Tue 08-Mar-05 15:18:11

mm there is a link between pre prenancy depression and pnd but it doesnt mean it is inevitable.Also there is the fact you are aware of your depression making you better prepared to deal with what may arise. PND isnt always about not bonding with your baby it can just be the feelings of worthlessness etc. I had what was classed as pnd depression and still have but it was not to do wiht my relationship with my son who throught it all has always given me hope.
hope this is off helpo to you

nappybaglady Wed 09-Mar-05 23:28:17

venus you posted on a day that happened to be very busy on MN so your thread disappeared. I don't have any advice on your subject but could I suggest that you bump this into active converstions during the day tomorrow then you may get more responses.

Good luck

starlover Thu 10-Mar-05 16:43:57

venus... I don't know about specific links between existing depression and PND. However, I have suffered from clinical depression for the last 10 years (on and off.. have my up moments too!).
When I fell pregnant, like you, I was concerned about post-natal depression. At my booking appointment the midwife said they would refer me to a psychiatrist, so that if I did feel bad after the birth there was already something in place for me and all i needed to do was make an appointment.

My son was born 4 weeks ago and I haven't had to use the psych services at all! I haven't resumed my anti depressants and I feel better than I have in years!
In fact, my moods seemed to even out after about 3 months of pregnancy, the hormones must have something to do with it I guess, and I haven't looked back!

I think that being prepared is key. Have a support system in place for when the baby is born, and if you need help ASK FOR IT! that way, even if you do end up with PND you will be able to sort it out quickly and hopefully it won't interfere with you bonding with baby!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: