Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

just plucked up the courage to phone the docs

(54 Posts)
sallystrawberry Mon 07-Mar-05 11:43:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mothernature Mon 07-Mar-05 11:46:01

Not clued up on that sort of thing sorry, just wanted you to know we hear you...{{{{{hugs}}}}}

cat82 Mon 07-Mar-05 11:46:12

Well done, i'm in the same boat and just accidently posted my real name on my thread.

I'm going to ask to be reffered for some counselling. Having had it before i know it's helpful. Maybe you could start with that and see how it goes?

mummytosteven Mon 07-Mar-05 11:46:30

well one thing he can do is check your iron and thyroid levels, in case there's a physioloical reason for you feel tired/stress etc

other than that he could refer you for some sort of counselling

and/or possibly give you some advice about relaxation that can help with stress

will continue having more of a think on this..

but well done you for nipping things in the bud now, rather than letting it drag on

Toothache Mon 07-Mar-05 11:47:09

That does sound like a form of depression Sally, or panic attacks. I have suffered from them and I don't have AD's. Just a very nice HV who taught me relaxation techniques and ways to control my anxiety. You have done the right thing, I know how you feel. I'm sure you'll notice a difference in yourself just being able to talk to the GP about it. Good luck!

Bearess Mon 07-Mar-05 11:47:13

sallystrawberry - pleased that you have called the doc though. Perhaps counselling may be the answer for you? Why don't you want ads? Am getting in shower now as hair is about to wash itself, back soon!

TracyK Mon 07-Mar-05 11:48:05

I'm no expert - but I would say to go with an open mind. ADs may help you in the short term - even if it's to let you have some decent amount of sleep - or maybe sleeping tabs?
Theres no reason why not to take ADs although I've heard they can sometimes take a while to 'kick in'. Maybe sleeping tabs would help more - stop the vicious circle of stress/no sleep/stress.

snafu Mon 07-Mar-05 11:48:48

Good for you, sally, you've done absolutely the right thing. There are lots of alternatives your doc can suggest as others have said. Well done, and let us know how it goes.

sallystrawberry Mon 07-Mar-05 11:55:38

amynnixmum Mon 07-Mar-05 11:57:00

Hi Sallystrawberry {{{hugs}}}

You sound as though you've been as stressed out as i have in the last few months. My GP gave me betablockers. If you don't know what they are - they work by slowing down your heart rate so that you feel less panicky.

For me a big problem with sleeping was not just getting off in the first place but also waking up with my heart thumping and feeling panicky and then not being able to relax enough to get back to sleep. I felt sick too - I think it was partly being so tired from not sleeping and partly feeling so anxious all the time.

Good thing about beta blockers is that they work quickly and you don't have to wait for them to build up in your system like ADs. I used to take one a little while before I went to bed and they definately helped. I still woke up in the night but felt less panicky and could get back to sleep. I also took Kalms and I found the combination of the Kalms and beta-blockers helped a lot.

For me things have calmed down a bit now. I have stopped taking the beta-blockers and I only use Kalms at night now( using Kalms Night-time).

Well done for calling your GP. I hope he's sympathetic.

handlemecarefully Mon 07-Mar-05 11:58:25

But sometimes depression is caused by chemical imbalances in the brain (serotonin levels etc) - in those cases I would have thought that ADs would help....

sallystrawberry Mon 07-Mar-05 15:12:21

amynnixmum Mon 07-Mar-05 15:43:09

It was the same for me SallyS,
The Kalms helped but they weren't enough on their own when things were really bad. Going to see yuor Gp is definately the right thing to do. I just wanted to tell you that the beta blockers helped me loads. They are not addictive and work straight away. Before i started taking them my resting heart rate was between 110 and 120 beats per minute - afterwards it came down to between 80 and 90 beats per minute.

amynnixmum Mon 07-Mar-05 15:45:43

I also found that relaxation techniques helped and having a bath with lavender oil in it was good. i also used to put some on my pillow to help me sleep. Is there any way that you can get help with whatever it is that is causing your stress?

sallystrawberry Mon 07-Mar-05 15:48:10

sallystrawberry Mon 07-Mar-05 15:49:58

amynnixmum Mon 07-Mar-05 15:53:21

Yes i had palpitations,
Thats what used to keep me awake at night.

My GP told me that this was a normal symptom of stress and not to worry about it as I had not suffered from them prior to getting so stressed.

The betablockers just slowed everything down a bit and made things more managable.

amynnixmum Mon 07-Mar-05 15:57:50

I know its hard but if things have got that bad you may need to consider giving something up.

I was due to start the next part of my OU course at the beginning of february but in the end I have decided to postpone it for a year as I was getting so stressed out in the days before it was due to start that I was making myself ill.

I am disappointed that I had to do it but as soon as i had made the decision I felt a weight had been lifted so it must have been the right thing to do.

There's only so much you can cope with.

sallystrawberry Mon 07-Mar-05 16:09:10

amynnixmum Mon 07-Mar-05 16:13:00

Have you talked to dh about how stressed you are? What does he think you should do? Perhaps work could give you some time off or maybe the doctor could sign you off sick for a couple of weeks at least that way you'd get paid. Its not a long term solution i know but it might help bring down you stress levels.

Bearess Mon 07-Mar-05 20:38:07

sallystrawberry, I think you're right to explore other avenues before taking ads - and that is from someone who is currently taking them - sounds bizarre, but someone I know swears by shiatsu - do you get any "you" time?

sallystrawberry Mon 07-Mar-05 21:00:28

sallystrawberry Mon 07-Mar-05 21:02:37

Bearess Mon 07-Mar-05 21:16:22

are there any alternative health places near you - a lot of mainstream salons seem to offer IHM now so you'd probably be able to find somewhere relatively easily - FWIW I would call tomorrow and get more time off, you need to put yourself first at the moment.

amynnixmum Tue 08-Mar-05 10:42:14

How are you feeling today SallyS?

Hope you slept ok.

Thinking of you xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: