Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Think dd may have anxiety disorder... what do I do?

(11 Posts)
Orinoco Thu 16-Oct-08 21:38:27

Message withdrawn

Orinoco Thu 16-Oct-08 21:39:21

Message withdrawn

gothicmama Thu 16-Oct-08 21:43:46

Mind have very good booklets about anxity in children .

latelateshow Thu 16-Oct-08 21:51:19

The poor little mite

It sounds to me like she may need some sort of intervention, worries can build up in kids and they add up and add up on top of each other, so you're not actually dealing with the real reason IYKWIM

Go to your GP, talk to the school

My DS is 9 with an Anxiety Disorder and he's doing really well now, so it can be sorted out

Good Luck

Orinoco Thu 16-Oct-08 21:54:47

Message withdrawn

MadBadandWieldingAnAxe Thu 16-Oct-08 21:55:52

She certainly does sound very anxious. Is the anxiety confined to school? Is she confident in other areas of her life, at home or at after-school activities?

I've just been Googling for child and adolescent mental health services. By the look of it, some take referrals only from GPs and others take them from GPs, school nurses, schools and others. Could you speak to your local CAMHS, to get some advice on what to do next?

I hope you find some help and support soon.

Orinoco Thu 16-Oct-08 22:02:40

Message withdrawn

MadBadandWieldingAnAxe Thu 16-Oct-08 22:06:53

That sounds like a good plan.

Good luck.

hester Thu 16-Oct-08 22:09:35

Oh, poor little thing. There's a charity called Young Minds who might have good advice. And your local CAMHS should be able to help.

Very best of luck.

thornrose Thu 16-Oct-08 22:11:23

I'm pretty sure your SENCO can do a CAMHS referral (without GP) especially as it's school related. CAMHS have changed and have an early intervention service where you can be seen very quickly. Speak to your SENCO and ask for a referral.

latelateshow Thu 16-Oct-08 22:17:24

Orinoco, my Ds's problems were around school also

They started off with a notebook for him to just put a red X if something made him feel bad, he didnt have to explain anything at the time

Then he would come out of school and tell me, I would be suitably outraged and have to explain that everyone's different/families do things different ways etc

It took about a year to fall into place but it has now and although he is still anxious at times, he is confident now and will explain to his teachers if something is bothering him

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now