Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Does anyone know if taking Fluoxetine means you can't give blood?

(9 Posts)
magsi Tue 23-Sep-08 19:27:46

Its only a small issue, but I have just thought of it. I will phone the blood service tomorrow, but just wondered if anyone had been advised on this? (I am about to pop my first one tomorrow).

Thanks

francesrivis Tue 23-Sep-08 19:39:38

I'm pretty sure it's OK - I have been on Prozac and various other ADs and have given blood throughout. Haven't for a few years though due to pregnancy etc. so I would just double check that the guidance hasn't changed.

francesrivis Tue 23-Sep-08 19:40:03

Prozac=fluoxetine BTW!

BibiThree Tue 23-Sep-08 19:41:23

I'm on fluoxetine and I give blood all the time, they questioned it the first time but I spoke with a nurse, she check in her book and all fine. You just have to tell them so they're aware.

BibiThree Tue 23-Sep-08 19:41:46

I gave blood last Wednesday btw

magsi Tue 23-Sep-08 19:55:14

Thanks everyone, still very nervous about taking my first one tomorrow, and guess I am looking for excuses. I am just terribly aware that I don't want to become 'reliant' on something. I guess its to do with me admitting to myself that I need a bit of help. Its hard isn't it?
sad

BibiThree Tue 23-Sep-08 20:08:01

It is very hard magsi and I cried my heart out when I was first prescribed them, but if you are on the lowest dose, their effect is just enough to keep you on an even keel and no more. I feel better when i'm on them, much more up and down when i'm not. Been on them for 5 years with an 18m break in the middle. It's taken me a long time to realise I need them, it's like I've been fighting admitting it for a long time, but when I came off them I did it cold turkey and found I was absolutely fine (not recommending cold turkey) - until I had the dts and post natal kicked in!

Don't beat yourself up about it, if you need them you need them. When you don't, you can stop. Take care. xxx

magsi Tue 23-Sep-08 20:25:18

Thanks BibiThree smile

Even if I did blub like a baby today in the Dr's surgery making a complete and utter fool out of myself, I do feel better for it already.

Silly question, but I am wondering if my appointment with the Dr WAS totally confidential, and I have gone on some SS's list for possibly crap mothers or something.

Am I just being paranoid?

BibiThree Tue 23-Sep-08 20:49:18

Yes, you are being paranoid! If anything you've gone on a list of excellent mothers who have taken the first step towards realising they don't feel right and doing something about it. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now