Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Can't be bothered to namechange, am quite deeply depressed, but gp doesn't think I am. Also an sp-will they make dd live with her father?

(6 Posts)
Pawslikepaddington Tue 23-Sep-08 13:20:54

I have been depressed for around a year, I know the signs as I had very severe depression as a teenager, to the point of nearly being hospitalized. I have been to my gp three times over the course of 6 months, and each time she says I have too much on and am not depressed I am anxious or over tired etc. Am now getting to the point where I am having suicidal wishes daily, i.e., I wish I could, but have dd to think of. Am worried if I tell this to gp she will contact ss, but I really need help-am bursting into tears continuously, am unable to do anything-I can't even concentrate long enough to clean the bathroom-I have to do it in three stages, and am struggling now to even make meals. How do I convince this woman I need help?

jesuswhatnext Tue 23-Sep-08 14:59:56

poor you - please go and ask to see a differant gp - change practices if you get no joy at your present one - you know how you feel, if possible could your dp of friend go with you for moral support?

curlywurlycremeegg Tue 23-Sep-08 15:03:33

Try MIND's helpline, they may know off an easier way for to you obtain a referal than through your very unhelpfuk GP

MIND

Pawslikepaddington Tue 23-Sep-08 15:30:13

Thank you both-I can normally handle it by cutting out the things I can't emotionally manage from my day (i.e. not ringing friends back and saying I forgot blush!) and just leaving a lot of stuff until "tomorrow", but I have a pile of stuff that NEEDS doing this week-we are moving house on a week's notice and it is not going to plan and the previous landlord is being painful about it, I have work to get in for Friday but dd's been at school on half days so nothing is done etc, so I've been getting in a big tizz and feel like I'm walking a tightrope between coping and flipping out! Thank you both so much xx

jesuswhatnext Tue 23-Sep-08 16:52:18

tbh, with all thats going on in your life i'm not surprised you are feeling low - ime (i'm an old bag smile) i think you do need to seen a decent gp, BUT, try and do something to help yourself relax and at least sleep properly. ie, take half an hour tonight to have a warm bath before bed (that half hour will not make the slightest differance to your work load/pile of 'to do'stuff, but a good nights sleep can make a world of difference to how you cope with each day iyswim.

good luck, and remember you are a very normal, hardworking, multitasking genius who is just a bit overloaded at present grin

silverwater Fri 03-Oct-08 00:11:15

Totally understand unsympathetic gp can be like a brick wall and put you off going again. Have suffered depression for years and the last couple of gp's i had were so useless did'nt go for ages. Then i plucked up the courage to change again this time on a reccommendation and he really listened and took me seriously so it is so worth trying to get a more sympathetic one. Depression is such a blight on a persons life and requires and deserves compassionate treatment. Afterall we deserve a quality of life don't we?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now