Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Worried about side effects of Fluoxetine

(12 Posts)
magsi Tue 23-Sep-08 12:33:10

Hello.

I have just been prescribed Fluoxetine, and am a bit of a novice. I have been looking into it on the net and have read some worrying possible side effects, which quite frankly,is putting me off popping the stuff. Things like hairloss!!

Guess I just need some re-assurance. I am quite prepared for all the usual feeling sick etc, and realise that a few side effects are a small price to pay if you are feeling 'better'.

Could anyone on here offer me a little re-assurance please!

Thanks in advance.

TotalChaos Tue 23-Sep-08 12:34:43

Been on fluoxetine for nearly 5 years. Only side effects were a slightly dicky tummy the first fortnight. Definitely no hairloss.

nickytwotimes Tue 23-Sep-08 12:34:51

There are horror stories relating to all medications. Fluoxetine is generally very safe for adults. It willl take a few weeks to get used to it and to feel any effects. Good luck. Oh, and NEVER Google health related topics!

magsi Tue 23-Sep-08 12:48:12

Thanks both, I will make a mental note not to google things like this again! smile

TotalChaos, if you don't mind my asking, when you started to take them, did you only imagine you needing them for a short time, or did it just end up being 5 years?. I guess I am just a bit scared of them becoming such a big part of my life.

TotalChaos Tue 23-Sep-08 12:59:34

magsi - I have been on them so long because of a previous history of relapses with OCD and depression - it was a consultant psychiatrist that suggested it was better for me to stay on them for long term than risk a serious relapse - so there are special circumstances that are v unlikely to apply to you. honestly - these days most GPs are keen to plan to get you off them once things improve.

nickytwotimes Tue 23-Sep-08 13:04:43

I've been on SSRIs (includung fluoxetine) for years. I am currently coming off them.
Many people take them for just a short time - say 6 mths - so try not to worry about it at the moment. However, fluoxetine is now recognised as one of the least tricky to come off as it has the shortest half-life of all the ssris. Hence, more and more gps are movign their patients on to it when they are ready to come off ads. I am currently stabilising on fluoxetine having reduced my sertraline dosage a little. When I have stabablised in another week I will be able to reduce my dose gradually with far fewer unpleasant effects.

magsi Tue 23-Sep-08 13:06:49

Thanks, I suppose I am new to this and of course everyone has their own special circumstances and reasons for taking them.

Oh well, I will start tomorrow morning and see what happens.

Thanks again
smile

magsi Tue 23-Sep-08 13:10:12

ntt,

Thats interesting info, thanks. I guess I am just worried in general about coming under the 'AD's spell'. Just the thought of my moods being controlled by a tablet. I am sure I will get used to the idea once I have started.

dibdabscribble Fri 26-Sep-08 11:58:46

I took fluoxetine for 9 months before coming off it with no problems.
When actually taking it the only problem I had was if I took it at night I had trouble sleeping. So I took it in the morning instead!

FrockHorror Fri 26-Sep-08 12:02:12

That stuff made me hyperactive! I couldn't eat or sleep or relax, but in all honesty, the hyperactivity gave me something to take my mind off the things that were getting me down.

run4it Fri 26-Sep-08 21:48:21

feeling sick, and some nightmares, but not too bad overall - and they work for me, so it's well worth taking them. always scary taking a leap into the unknown...

magsi Fri 26-Sep-08 23:51:03

Thanks everyone, well, I am on day three, and so far so good. I know it takes a couple of weeks to feel the benefits, but I feel better already. Although I expect it is just the feeling of relief that I have addressed the problems and have done something about them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now