Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

CBT....I knew that it would be emotionally hard, but I have woken up feeling like I have been hit by a car all over again........is it normal to also hard physical symptoms????

(36 Posts)
psychomum5 Tue 23-Sep-08 07:48:40

...because if not, why does my body hurt like this??

My neck actually feels like I suffered whiplash yesterday! I had hoped a shower would help, but I seem to be getting tighter, not looser.....

I am finding all this quite tough, more so than I thought I would even tho I was warned. I guess I figured that they warn you worse case feelings but that wouldn;t be me as I only had car accidents, not some of the stuff others go thro.

and part of me feels as tho I am not allowed to feel like this either, so altho I said yesterday I don;t feel angry with the drivers anymore, I now feel very very guilty that I am allowing it all to effect my life in this way............however 'normal' she says I am/allowed to feel like this.

<<<sob>><<wince>><<wail>>

Onlyjoking Tue 23-Sep-08 07:57:49

emotions do effects us emotionally so i would say its "normal" not that i am in any way qualified to spot "normal" wink
hope you feel pain free pretty soon.

psychomum5 Tue 23-Sep-08 08:07:22

lol OJwink

thanks for that. I will be fine I am sure ((normally amhmmwink)), but this neck pain is a bit of a shock, especially the strength of the pain.

I think I will do school run and take some strong painkillers and see if sleep might help. well, as long as I don;t dream this time either!

Buda Tue 23-Sep-08 08:09:43

However you feel is however you feel. We are all different and all react to things differently.

Can you get to a chiropracter?

Nbg Tue 23-Sep-08 08:15:13

The other thing to remember is that when your anxious or feel panic, you hold your body differently.
You may not realise it at the time because your mind is elsewhere.

IME, I used to ache like hell after my CBT and my therapist would always make me aware of how I was sat, which was usually at the edge of my seat, hunched over.

It will get better for you smile

psychomum5 Tue 23-Sep-08 08:16:46

no, am in the midst of pysio arranged by the insurers at the mo, of which I have a seesion tomorrow in fact, so not sure chiropractor today would help too much.

might be worng, but then, I wouldn;t get an appointment that quick anyway surely.

psychomum5 Tue 23-Sep-08 08:20:11

Nbg, yup, my therapist yesterday had me doing relaxation excersises and made me very aware of how I was holding myself. I was alert to how tight my shoulder were getting........so even more of a shock today.

also, I have felt tight the day after each session, but not like this. this really is almost as bad as whiplash......to the fact that turning my head hurts (altho I can right now, with the real whiplash I couldn;t IYGWIM).

but then, maybe right now I am making myself worse by thinking about ithmm???

psychomum5 Tue 23-Sep-08 15:37:53

STILL feeling really really crap.

the pain is immense and nothing has taken the edge off<<sob>>

altho I am now feeling hot and cold so wondering if I am coming down with something insteadhmm

Buda Wed 24-Sep-08 11:26:43

Oh dear - sorry missed your update yesterday. How are you today?

mou Wed 24-Sep-08 12:07:13

Psychomum, pain is crap and really drags you down, I get spinal pain due to an accident and really sympathise with you.
Things I do.
Electric blanket in bed on low all night as getting cold makes pain worse.

Support pillow in bed..heaven!

Heat pads from chemists for localised warmth..not a cure but brings relief.

Alexander technique....I can't do links, but has helped with posture.

Stick with physio, mine was mismanaged and I have really suffered for it.

Consider low dose of antidepressants, we
don't hold ourselves right when we are stressed and this aggrevates back/neck pain. Or alternative therapies like lavendar oil, anything to help you relax.

Take good care of yourself and I hope you feel better soon. smile and healing hugs.

psychomum5 Wed 24-Sep-08 13:03:11

thankyou both.

flame dragged me swimming in the end this morning....I was sobbing on MSN to her this morning threatening giving it all up.....bad dreams again last night and not sure how much I can take of it all. I was supposed to have physio today but when I woke up I was feeling so tight and sick I cancelled....apart from anything at that point I felt that bad I thought maybe bug and I did not want to share......flame figured otherwise and decided I needed an endorphins (sp?) kick and it is all physical reactions to CBT.........hence swimming.

It has worked a little.

I think part of what is going on is that I suffered PTSD after the car accident (the one that I am having CBT for) and needed AD's......all the CBT is raising the same issues again, which I was warned about, but I didn;t figure that the PTSD would come back with such a vengence......I really am struggling more than I thought I would.

I don;t want to go back onto AD's, even if only to get me thro the CBT, but, the way I feel right now, I am tempted to give up as I am so scared.

oh, and next week, she is making me go thro the crash in major detail........she says to get my brain stop sticking at the moment of impact and get it past that into me being ok at home again.

I want to believe it will work.....

Buda Wed 24-Sep-08 13:09:00

It will work. It WILL!

Swimming sounds like a great idea - well done flame!

have you any lavender oil? Maybe burn some in a burner in teh house? May help you relax. Rescue Remedy?

psychomum5 Wed 24-Sep-08 13:32:52

ooh, rescue remedy I have.

lavender smells tho.......not like, sorry.

maybe a cammomile tea will helphmm.

and yes, fab flame

mou Wed 24-Sep-08 16:31:47

My doctor used the anti-depressants to help my muscles relax, because it is so hard not to tense up when you are in pain. It is obviously down to what suits you but pehaps you could use them as a temporary stop gap whilst you get everything else into your control.

I also learnt some simple meditation techniques to help control panic/anxiety attacks. I didn't have CBT and regret it.

I am a long way down the line from my accident and as hard as it is right now you will get through it especially if you can keep believing and telling yourself that you will. I am obviously not a professional and can only tell you the things that helped me but I found focussing on who I was before the accident and being determined to get back to being that person gave me the drive to keep fighting sometimes. The experience changed me so so much but it is possible to slowly turn the negative into positive. Also I tried not to look ata the big picture otherwise i got overwhelmed, just bits at a time

You always come across as quite a strong person and you just need to keep feeding that strength. I don't think you will give up..just give yourself a chance.
Too much mou philosophy but I really do empathise with your position.

DrHorrible Wed 24-Sep-08 16:33:16

the ADs worked before.

You came off them fine before.

Makes sense to use them as you need, no?

hanaflower Wed 24-Sep-08 16:39:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

psychomum5 Wed 24-Sep-08 16:49:19

but DrH.......you know how uptight I get at the thought of taking them.
Ok for others, for me it is like admitting I am failing and becoming like my mum again (and yes, I know that is not logical, but who said I was logicalhmmwink).

mou and hanaflower......thankyou both for your replies. I think that you are right, it is overwhelming and I am trying to be kind to myself. It just smacks against 'me'......I am not used to feeling like I am not coping.

Buda Wed 24-Sep-08 16:58:12

I read on another thread on here today a comment about ADs. Someone said that she thought of people who took them as being v strong. Strong enough to know that they need them to help them through something. Not a sign of weakness at all. I thought it was interesting.

psychomum5 Wed 24-Sep-08 16:59:08

buda, that is a nice comment, thankyou.

Buda Wed 24-Sep-08 17:39:06

You're welcome! Sort of underhand nagging really!

JacobImprintedOnMENotNessie Wed 24-Sep-08 17:42:13

you're uptight with cbt anyway wink

psychomum5 Wed 24-Sep-08 22:45:59

am kind of liking the nagging. feels nice in an odd way IYGWIM.

PrimroseHall Wed 24-Sep-08 22:56:40

I've been having CBT for about 6 months now, and occasionally, after a difficult session I feel really ill. Not in pain, but sweating and nauseas and as if I'm going to faint. Emotionally, I usually feel churned up but also lighter than I did before I went in. I often ask my therapist to miss a week so I can recover from a really bad session. It takes up a lot of my energy going over things that are painful and confusing.

Was it your first session this week? Hopefully it will get easier once you get into it. Definitely tell him/her about your physical symptoms as well.

psychomum5 Wed 24-Sep-08 23:00:40

third session this week, but second 'proper' session.

mine has been arranged thro the insurance co. and so is private (not sure if that makes a difference as such, but may with regards to giving it up as I think I have to pay somethinghmm).

even the thought of it makes me go tight. and the thought of going thro the accident next week is scaring me silly.

she did warn me that it would be hard, but I never expected to feel physically in pain.

PrimroseHall Wed 24-Sep-08 23:15:13

Oh, it sounds very different to my CBT. Mine isn't to help me cope with anything specifically, but to help overcome emotional issues from childhood. I basically turn up at the sessions and talk about whatever is bothering me and my therapist helps with strategies. I've never been forwarned about a session where I'd have to talk about anything specific.

The hardest sessions are when my therapist correctly identifies why I'm moaning about a particular thing, and I have to get more specific. It's extremely uncomfortable and they are the times that I feel ill afterwards.

Do you have a set amount of sessions so the therapist has a set agenda at each appt? If not could you tell her that you're terrified and not ready yet. Maybe you'll feel more able to talk about the accident when you're comfortable with her.

I'm sorry it's such a painful, frightening experience for you. I've heard other people say this as well though, although they also say that they benefitted hugely, so that's a really positive thing. I do hope you're feeling better soon PM5

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now