Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Fluoxetin - anyone else had probs?

(10 Posts)
costagirl Mon 22-Sep-08 15:47:28

Hello - I posted earlier today as Fluoxetin, which was making me less hormonal, seems to have suddenly stopped working. See my thread. Anyone else had similar?

colette Mon 22-Sep-08 16:04:59

Costagirl only started taking fluoxetin last month for pmt so can't offer much help just sympathy. On your other thread you mentioned having problems with childcare - I found myself really stressed when going back to work after having dd and no childcare sorted. Maybe that is really upsetting you, my line manager let me defer coming back for another 3 months , he said it is very difficult to settle back in at work if you are worrying about your dc.
Hope you get on well at G.Ps , will be watching this thread

colette Mon 22-Sep-08 16:06:31

Also do you take it all the time or just during the pre-men phase ?

costagirl Mon 22-Sep-08 16:25:38

Have been taking it every day (lowest dose). The working mum/childcare thing is v stressful, with one ds at school and a 2 yr old, and I know for the short period I didn't work at all, I felt really good. Just pottered about doing housework and playing with the baby and loved it! Back in the real world, feel like I should be able to juggle everything without feeling panicky - everyone else seems to manage! PMT was MUCH better with fluoxetin, so good luck with that - just a shame it seems to have stopped working! I'll keep you posted.

OrmIrian Mon 22-Sep-08 16:31:09

I had no problems as far as I remember. But coming off it was horrible.

colette Mon 22-Sep-08 18:20:34

Costagirl 2 year olds are prety stressful on their own especially when you are tired and busy. Update on how you are doing grin and if doc is helpful.
Ormirian how long did you take it for ?

OrmIrian Mon 22-Sep-08 18:57:03

6 months colette.

I came off it unaided because the locum that prescribed them had left the practice. Bit stupid I know, I could have got another GP but she had been so helpful. So I had the weird dreams, whooshy electric feelings in my head, waking nightmares...and generall horribleness. Quite sure it could have been avoided with some common sense hmm

costagirl Mon 22-Sep-08 21:15:00

Colette, the 2 year old is a dream, it's the nearly 7 year old that drives me nuts! Will let you know what Dr says (hopefully not "for god's sake, get a grip").

costagirl Thu 25-Sep-08 07:03:13

Hello Colette, just to update - GP was LOVELY (can rarely get appt with her) and v sympathetic. She said hormones are a nightmare and sometimes 'blip' for a month or two, kind of over-riding the fluoxetine. Staying with fluox to see what happens this month, if bad, need to take B12 as well. If still bad in a month or two, change medication but not yet. She's confident it was just a glitch - hope so! Good luck with yours.

colette Thu 25-Sep-08 13:46:00

Thanks for the update costagirl- GP sounds good. I think some months are a lot worse than others . B12 is worth a try .
Hope it all settles down for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now