Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

prozac and anorexia

(23 Posts)
mrssmith22 Sun 14-Sep-08 20:45:54

I was perscribed fluoxetine 6 weeks ago for pmt.

The pmt is better, not completely disappeared but a big improvement. On my new perscription I was reading about the side effects (different manufacturer from old perscription). I noticed something about anorexia.

When I was 8yo I stopped eating for a while & remember doctors telling me I would die if I didn't eat. My mum won't talk to me about this period in my life.

I have lost a lot of weight over the past 3 weeks(about a stone). My weight has been normal for years but I am now underweight according to my BMI. I weigh myself at least 5 times a day. I love the fact that I am losing so much weight. I'm slipping back to somewhere I know I shouldn't be. I can't help it. By the end of this month my aim is to lose another stone.

I don't want to stop taking the fluoxetine. My pmt was so bad that I almost committed suicide on more than one occassion. I'm really ashamed about this.

notnowbernard Sun 14-Sep-08 20:50:56

This sounds worrying. You sound quite 'split' - on the one hand you are concerned by your emerging thoughts and feelings, on the other you are excited by your response to them... the losing weight

I think you should go back to your GP, tell him/her what's been happening and ask for an urgent referral to a therapist with experience with eating disorders

Good luck. I hope you are able to take action before this spirals too out of control

OracleInaCoracle Sun 14-Sep-08 20:51:09

mrssmith, you need to see yourgp and change your ad's. anorexia can stay with you for a v long time and it dos sound like you have an anorexic thought pattern.

mrssmith22 Sun 14-Sep-08 21:01:44

Thanks for listening, I appreciate it.

notnowbernard Sun 14-Sep-08 21:06:02

HAs anyone else noticed your weight loss?

TequilaMockinBird Sun 14-Sep-08 21:14:35

Agree with lissielou, you need to get these changed.

I suffered from Anorexia after GP changed my AD's to fluoxetine about 3 years ago now. Not sure whether it was solely to do with the AD's but I've never had any thoughts like that since I've gone back onto Lofepramine.

Please go and see your GP and explain that you'd like him to change them.

mrssmith22 Sun 14-Sep-08 21:33:20

notnowbernard - I don't think anyone has noticed the weight loss. I now wear big jumpers to cover it as I am so cold.

That sounds pathetic. I have a hugely responsible job, children, partner. I am the one that people come to for advice. I'm basically a fraud.

Tequila - I was under the impression that fluoxetine is THE AD for pmt. It was a big deal to go to the gp about my pmt. I tried every natural remedy I'd heard about for about 4 years & felt a failure for not coping with it.

I shouldn't be on here now. I've got a presentation tomorrow.

notnowbernard Sun 14-Sep-08 21:45:10

You don't sound pathetic and you're not a fraud

But you're clearly struggling and need to 'unburden' yourself to someone with the skills and experience to understand what's going on for you

I'm thinking either referral to a psychiatrist (will be MUCH better placed to make decisions about ADs and other treatments) or referral to a therapist, to look specifically at the behaviours and thinking patterns around food and weight loss

mrssmith22 Sun 14-Sep-08 22:21:10

thanks notnowbernard

I've lurked on mumsnet for a few weeks now. I wanted a truthful opinion & it seems that this is the best place for that. My 'real life' friends don't/can't see the real me.

It's like being in some kind of comfort zone on here.

I can't see a shrink, there's just NO WAY - I wouldn't be able to do my job. Any kind of blight on mental health, that would be the end. End of job means end of career, income, house, lifestyle etc. I could NOT do that to my children, I've worked too hard for that.

When I can see my ribs and spine in my back I'll stop. I know I can hide it until then, that's as far as I will go. I know that isn't too far. That may seem mad, but at least I have a limit.

notnowbernard Sun 14-Sep-08 22:26:42

Look, I've experience of healthcare and can assure you psychiatrists see and treat people from ALL walks of life. Straight up.

What do you do? Why would your employer even need to know you were seeing a psychiatrist?

Your thinking is already becoming quite distorted with regard to your body image. I think you're in a lot of denial if you think you can control this one, sorry

flubdub Sun 14-Sep-08 22:29:52

Hello.
I have just found this.
smile

mrssmith22 Sun 14-Sep-08 22:31:55

I have to flip back into 'normal' mode ready for tommorrow. I will think about what you have said over the next few days.

much appreciated.

mrssmith22 Sun 14-Sep-08 22:34:03

thank you, flubdub.

notnowbernard Sun 14-Sep-08 22:35:04

Ok, take care of yourself smile

I think it's great you've acknowledged this, btw

Will be watching this thread

TequilaMockinBird Sun 14-Sep-08 23:20:10

I wasnt on fluoxetine for pmt, I was prescribed it following a nasty car accident which affected me in allsorts of ways.

hester Sun 14-Sep-08 23:40:14

mrssmith, if I understand you correctly you're worried that taking prozac may be exacerbating or even causing your anorexia? OK, so this is just my take on that (I am an ex-anorexic who took prozac very successfully as part of my recovery): it's certainly true that prozac curbs your appetite, so it may have helped facilitate your weight loss over the last few weeks. IF you are getting effective help with your anorexia, this may be a risk worth taking (it was for me; prozac helped keep me calm enough to consider putting on weight, but I was under intensive psychiatric supervision and under threat that ANY further weight loss would mean immediate hospitalisation).

Prozac can't cause an eating disorder, though. You know - don't you? - that you really must seek professional help with this. You are saying you can't because of your job because that is the sort of thing anorexics say. In fact, your post of 22:21:10 is textbook anorexic-speak. I'm sorry if I'm sounding harsh, but I've been there - for years and years and years - and I do know. I also know that it is possible to make an absolute and complete recovery from the half-life that is anorexia, and achieve very real happiness as a size 12!

Please, please do get help. If you're wary of seeing a psychiatrist, at least contact the Eating Disorders Association (I think they're now called (b)eat or something) and talk to their helpline or get in touch with one of their local self-help groups. Your lovely children and your great job really do rely on you nipping this in the bud sooner rather than later.

Do think long and hard over the next few days. Don't kid yourself that you can just take it to the next lap, then stop. You'll get to that limit, then push it further. It's SO much easier to beat anorexia while your weight is still high enough for you to be functioning, for your brain to be working properly (it starts shutting down very quickly) and for you to be holding down your job and being a great mum.

Best of luck - I'm always around if you want to talk.

mrssmith22 Sun 14-Sep-08 23:55:45

I'm sorry, hester. But I'm sitting on a fence & have decided that the easiest way for me is to fall on the side that I shouldn't.

I'll have to come back to this later on in the week (half a stone lighter, I hope).

I'm pleased that prozac can't cause an eating disorder. I can't come off it, I'll have to deal with pmt. I'm a bit confussed about the whole thing to be honest - which isn't me, iyswim.

I'll have to come back to this later, the next few days at work are going to be mad.

mrssmith22 Sun 14-Sep-08 23:58:42

would like to say that I'm clinging on to this with my nails ??!!!! haven't got anywhere else to turn to. thanks. off to bed now.

hester Mon 15-Sep-08 00:30:47

Sleep well, mrssmith. I hopw when things calm down at work you'll have a bit of time for working out ways to take care of yourself. I know that all the nagging in the world won't make a difference so I'll shut up now smile. But do come back if you ever want a chat.

flubdub Mon 15-Sep-08 12:35:26

Keep well mrssmith22

mrssmith22 Tue 23-Sep-08 23:41:42

I have had a difficult few days, my weigh is the lowest I'll go now.

My brother 'outed' me regarding my eating issues at the weekend. I denied all at first, but then confessed all to DP. He said he had known all along. His sister has the same problems.

notnowbernard, lissielou, TequilaMockinBird, flubdub, hester - thank you so much for listening to me & not making me feel like a freak.

I'm taking a long break from my work, I realise it is at the route of my problems - full of competitive dieting & a world in which image is the be all & end all (maybe I should point them in the direction of mumsnet?!)

Thanks

hester Wed 24-Sep-08 00:08:04

I'm sorry things are so tough right now, mrssmith, but really pleased you are taking action and getting some support from dp.

Very, very best of luck with this. Take good care of yourself. Come and talk anytime.

There were many, many years of my life when I thought I could never be happy, I could only choose between fat-unhappy and thin-unhappy (and guess what I chose). I've now been recovered well over a decade, I'm not fat (important detail, I know!) and am truly happy. It is possible. I really hope you will find some peace with this soon, so that you can focus your energies on enjoying your lovely kids and finding a job that makes you feel good about yourself.

notnowbernard Wed 24-Sep-08 19:20:47

Wow, MrsSmith... sounds like a lot has happened. You sound like you've taken a big 'risk' in being honest with your DP. Taking time-out from work is a really positive step, IMO, but must have taken a lot of courage to initiate! Well done (hope that doesn't sound patronising, is really not intended to come across that way!)

I echo what Hester said. Use MN to talk if you need to. Be kind to yourself. Let those close to you know how you are really feeling

I wish you all the best smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now