Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anyone on Depakote or a mood stablizer?

(3 Posts)
LOVEMYMUM Sat 13-Sep-08 21:22:00

I've been prescribed Depakote by a psychiatrist after experiencing mania triggered by antidepressants (GP prescribed the Sertraline and only saw me after initial consultation). LO is six months.

What is your experience?

arionater Sat 13-Sep-08 23:34:07

No experience with depakote (or any mood stabilizer) I'm afraid, but just wanted to say that I had the same experience - mania triggered - very dramatically and immediately! - by a tiny dose of antidepressant. I am being carefully monitored by a psychiatrist and they're holding off a stabilizer for now because five months after the AD-induced mania I'm still feeling the after-effects but improving steadily, doing quite well managing it with routine, exercise etc. I think the idea is that if that progress stalls at some point they'll try a stabilizer. I would be really really scared ever to try an AD again, even with a stabilizer as well; but if I started to feel any less stable despite doing all the right things lifestyle wise, I'd be OK about trying a mood stabilizer, and in fact I feel quite reassured to know that they're there to try if it's ever necessary. Just thought I would comment because I was really reassured the first time I came across someone else who'd had the same experience with ADs.

LOVEMYMUM Sun 14-Sep-08 21:24:32

Thanks arionater.

I was told i had to have my mood stablised cos i have a six month old baby to look after and I was erratic (laughing one minute, crying the next).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now