Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Feeling Depressed/trapped

(15 Posts)
MrsSnape Fri 12-Sep-08 19:04:27

Has this board taken over the 'feeling depressed board' because I can't find it...

Anyway I'm feeling so down today. I HATE where I live. I hate the house, it stinks of piss, I hate the area, I hate the people around me, the street is a shit hole with dirty nappies just slung into the road, stripped down cars etc...The local kids are getting worse, balls being kicked at the windows constantly, stuff being thrown at the car/in the garden...everytime I hear them playing out I become obsessed with them and sit there staring at them through the window to make sure they're not coming near our house. We have no money. Walking to school today my feet were wet and cold because I have holes in both of my boots and can't afford anymore. Most of my clothes don't fit properly.

Im trying so hard to get a job but I keep getting knock back after knock back. Either no jobs come up or when they do I either get ignored at the application process or turned away at the interview stage. I just feel totally trapped here, amongst the filth of this bloody estate.

If I don't move soon my son is in the catchment area of one of the roughest schools in the city which is putting more pressure on. But I can't move because most landlords won't take on LHA (or dss). No chance in hell of getting moved council wise...no houses available and nobody in their right mind would swap to live here. I was even told in the council office that I was wasting my time and had no chance of being offered anything.

I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle and all the time my kids are suffering because of it.

wotulookinat Fri 12-Sep-08 19:13:42

Oh MrsS, I don't know what to say. It sounds like everything is getting on top of you.
Could you aim to make your home lovely so you are happy to be inside it, regardless of what is going on outside?

SuperBunny Fri 12-Sep-08 19:34:29

MrsSnape, I can't really offer any advice but didn't want to read and then not post.

It won't make you feel any better but I also have holes in my shoes and wet feet. Today, I had to find my local food pantry because I can't afford to buy groceries. I don't want to have to go sad

So, no help or advice but a wet-footed (hug) from me.

SuperBunny Fri 12-Sep-08 19:35:21

wot's advice is good. And hopefully you will get a job soon and be able to move away. But it's still crap and miserable. I'm sorry.

wotulookinat Fri 12-Sep-08 19:39:08

Superbunny, what is a food pantry?

SuperBunny Fri 12-Sep-08 19:41:58

Oh, it's where they give out food to people in need. Like a soup kitchen but general groceries that you can take home blush

wotulookinat Fri 12-Sep-08 19:44:43

That's a great idea for people in need. Don't be embarrassed.

MrsSnape Fri 12-Sep-08 21:59:53

Superbunny, thank you [hug] it does 'help' in a way to know you're not alone but at the same time, I'm sorry you're going through this too. Nobody should have to.

wotulookinat, I suppose I should make an effort but it costs money to make a house look nice and I just don't have it at the moment

wotulookinat Sat 13-Sep-08 10:57:36

Not necessarily, MrsS. I have got some lovely things from Freecycle - even having something 'new to you' in the house can cheer you up.
I've even got some lovely plants for my garden from it - it's well worth a look.
There's a good site called myskip which is a similar thing too.

SuperBunny Sat 13-Sep-08 15:43:57

Freecycle is a very good idea. I just got some much needed towels from there and some shelves.

I help run a parent support group where people donate baby clothes. If no-one from our group claims them, I put them on Freecycle to try to make it fair. And if I ever have any clothes to pass on, I put them on there. I tend to wear my clothes until they are fit only to be used as cleaning rags though.

Hope you are ok, MrsS. I know this is very crappy and quite depressing. I keep reminding myself that this is just a phase. A very bad one but that things can really only get better...

MrsSnape Sat 13-Sep-08 20:22:06

I have looked on freecycle but its such a faff to join! I had to sign up for yahoo, wait forever for a confirmation email, then register for the group, I had to explain why I wanted to join and to be honest, after 20 minutes or so of trying to get on it I gave up. Will check out myskip though

SuperBunny, you are right, it is only a phase and things will get better. I keep trying to remind myself that there are people out there in worse states than me. I am feeling better now though...sent off some more job applications today.

Hope things improve for you too x

wotulookinat Sat 13-Sep-08 21:00:29

Sounds like an excuse, MrsS wink

MrsSnape Sat 13-Sep-08 21:02:01

lol blush I'm not known for my patient personality wink I'll give it another go

wotulookinat Sat 13-Sep-08 21:08:59

When you have to give them a reason to join, put that you have heard how useful the group is and that you believe that useful items should not be sent landfill when others could benefit, that sort of thing. It need only be a couple of sentences. smile

colette Sat 13-Sep-08 21:18:49

MrsSnape good luck with your job applications smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now