Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

DEPRESSED DH

(5 Posts)
LAUGHLOTS Tue 09-Sep-08 12:34:46

My dh is depressed, but I dont feel i can pussyfoot around him anymore. He is driving me insane, but by being hard and in his eyes mean hmm am I going to end up pushing him away?

Pria Tue 09-Sep-08 16:21:08

No, not hard or mean.

Have had experiance of this several years ago
when partner diagnoised with depression. Easy to be sympathetic initially, difficult to sustain and put your own feelings on hold (can't possibly worry them with anything)

In respect of DH, any access to counselling?, as this does seem to help, anti depressents also can provide a short term boost.

For me regular time away be it at the gym, friends, evening classes, whatever allowed me to recoupe energy to cope.

Wish you luck

LAUGHLOTS Tue 09-Sep-08 16:33:13

he does see a councillor. he is helpfull. i am on the verge of giving up and letting him go.

trumpetgirl Tue 09-Sep-08 17:05:57

I think you have to be careful not to trivialise depression. I suffer from it sometimes, and noone/ nothing can make it better. I just have to wait until I get out the other side.
My XP used to take it offensively, thinking that he didn't make me happy - but it actually had nothing to do with him at all!!!
I do see your side as well, it must be hard to know what to do when you can't help... life goes on.
All you can do is wait, and try to find a way for you to cope with it.
I agree with Pria that you need some time to yourself.

empressorchid Thu 11-Sep-08 21:29:04

Laughlots - if you plan on sticking with DH (and I know how difficult this is at times) check out the new support thread for partners. My story is on there and although my Dh only been depressed for a short while I have considered leaving him on several occassions. Not sure why I'm still here, but thats something I'm struggling with.

Check out that thread smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now