Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

when does citalopram kick in?

(15 Posts)
stitch Fri 05-Sep-08 21:00:51

how long does it take to get into your system and start working? ive tried googling, but got lots of information about its pharmackinetics, but not anything in english.
tia

LovelyDear Fri 05-Sep-08 21:02:04

does it say in the patient information leaflet, in the pack? my fluoxetine took 3 weeks to work.

stitch Fri 05-Sep-08 21:21:58

three weeks??? thats a lifetime.
no, we lost/mislaid the information leaflet. blush

PussinJimmyChoos Fri 05-Sep-08 21:24:32

It will take a a good two weeks - sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear right now but bear with - trust me - its so worth it. They did wonders for me but am now weaning myself off them as feeling a lot better and ttc no 2!

stitch Fri 05-Sep-08 21:31:00

well done puss smile
its not me takeing them. thank god! i took ad's for a few years, and finally came off themm almost two years ago.
a good friend is taking them, but without her dp or families knowldege. she was asking my advice, and i cant actually remember blush. it was all sucdh a blur to me. i just rememer after a while feeling as if i was on a cushion, and nothing could bother me any more. but not sure how long that took. but they did work. smile

twoboots Fri 05-Sep-08 21:41:29

should have SOME effect by 3-4 weeks, maximal effect by 6 weeks. everyone responds differenty though. after 6 weeks your doctor may consider a dosage increase.

allgonebellyup Fri 05-Sep-08 21:46:02

hate to say this, but mine took a good 2 months before i felt any better.
i am now on a v high dose (60mg) which seems to help, but not all the time.
Been on citalopram for a year tomorrow!

GentleOtter Fri 05-Sep-08 21:50:37

Does anyone else wake up clenching their teeth with it? I'm only on 10mg but this happened on day one of taking it, It wakes me up at 4am every morning.

stitch Fri 05-Sep-08 21:53:45

otter, i have been googling, and found this as a side effect of as's but not citalopram specifically.
friend on day five today. i guess that means that so far, it is only the placebo affect helping her feel better then

VeniVidiVickiQV Fri 05-Sep-08 21:56:54

it can take between 2 to 4 weeks. worth the wait though smile

BigBadMousey Fri 05-Sep-08 22:04:26

Mine started to work quite quickly IIRC smile

redinthehead Fri 05-Sep-08 22:05:13

That teeth-clenchy thing can be a short-lived side effect, shouldnt last more than a week usually. May also feel a bit jittery/on edge for the first few days too. Keep takinh them though...know so many people who stop after a week or so thinking they're not working, but they will hopefully if you keep taking them (3-4 weeks really). I know it seems an eternity away now though.

In my own personal experience as well as professional experience it is generally really effective.

allgonebellyup Fri 05-Sep-08 22:10:26

yes i had the weird teeth thing for a while too, and every time i got a shot of adrenalin, ie when i was nervous or about to near-crash the car, it went straight through my teeth!

i dropped a stone in weight over the first month, from a size 10 to a 6. Not that common though, my doc said.

twoboots Fri 05-Sep-08 22:26:09

a bit of short term valium will help the jittery/teeth-clenchy thing.

MindingMum Fri 05-Sep-08 22:45:24

i have to say that when i was taking them three years ago (been off them now for 18 months) i actually felt the effect within a week

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now