Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Is fluetine safe to take in pegnancy

(3 Posts)
buzzzybee Tue 02-Sep-08 12:53:40

hiya,ive just found out i'm pregnant and ive been taking fluxetine for about a month now and they are helping me. I had a chat with the doctor who wasnt sure so she phoned someone about his and got back to me,she said she wouldnt take anything but they have had the most reserch and are fine. i really dont like taking anything but ive had loads happen the last year i lost my mother,have a 4month old and a 3 year old but these tablets have made me a little stronger. i'd love some advice please xx

AAL Thu 04-Sep-08 20:48:17

Hiya
I was on fluoxetine until I found out I was pregnant recently. But my doctor said there is no medical evidence that taking it will affect the baby, and the stress of coming off it, may cause more harm. However, the blanket strategy seems to be, to advise against taking any medication if it can be helped during first trimester.
i have stopped, as I did 5 years ago with first son, and was actually ok, and having had a mc, am now 100% paranoid....
If it's helping you cope, I would do yr own research, plus gaining second medical opinion, and possibly continue.
Good Luck - it's not easy is it? x

AAL Thu 04-Sep-08 20:49:01

Hiya
I was on fluoxetine until I found out I was pregnant recently. But my doctor said there is no medical evidence that taking it will affect the baby, and the stress of coming off it, may cause more harm. However, the blanket strategy seems to be, to advise against taking any medication if it can be helped during first trimester.
i have stopped, as I did 5 years ago with first son, and was actually ok, and having had a mc, am now 100% paranoid....
If it's helping you cope, I would do yr own research, plus gaining second medical opinion, and possibly continue.
Good Luck - it's not easy is it? x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now