Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Can I breastfeed whilst on Citalopram?

(3 Posts)
ChocolateMouse Tue 02-Sep-08 12:16:20

Hi there,

I have been on Citalopram before for depression but came off it due to DRs advice at the beginning of my third trimester. The drug worked really well for me. My DS is now seven months old and although I am not actually breastfeeding him, (we had feeding difficulties with DS not being a strong feeder and therefore my milk supply wasn't good), I do express small amounts daily and feed him mainly formula alongside that. DS is lactose intolerant too but is fine on Nutramigen and Mummy's milk. grin

My DR has prescribed me Citalopram again as of last week but says that she looked in her BNF book and it states that the drug company suggests to not breastfeed whilst taking the drug. My DR has now said that I should stop breastfeeding because of this and tried to make me feel better by saying that it wouldn't really make much difference as I'm only expressing a small amount anyway. angry

Has anyone else breastfed whilst taking Citalopram? Should I ask my DR for an alternative. The LaLecheLeague said that maybe should consider another drug and this one has a half-life of 36 hours. sad

Really don't want to stop giving DS expressed milk. Any advice would be really appreciated.

needsupport Tue 02-Sep-08 12:19:32

im on citalopram and am breastfeeding.

ChocolateMouse Tue 02-Sep-08 12:35:48

Thank you needsupport. Do you notice any side effects in yourself of your lo?

I feel like I can breathe a sigh of relief {smile}

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now