Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Flying, prozac, valium and (what else can I take?!)

(6 Posts)
ConstanceWearing Fri 29-Aug-08 22:20:38

I've been very brave in booking a holiday to Majorca, as I have an absolute phobia of flying.

I'm on prozac, and the GP gave me 2mg tablets of valium today. I took one - it didn't help much, so I took another (4mg in all). My eyelids were very heavy and I was calm, but I was still pacing the room and nowhere near as eager to something daring as when I've had a couple of whiskeys grin

I was wondering if anyone knows which would be better - a couple of drinks at the airport, or valium? Or could I take the valium and also smoke a joint (this is not something I do usually, but it does have a calming effect on me and I want to be as calm as possible so I don't show my friends up at the airport by refusing to board the plane).

Plase help - flying tomorrow!

minorbird Fri 29-Aug-08 22:30:36

I too have a fear of flying but go long haul at least twice a year to see family. I usually try to remember that there are thousands of planes in the sky at any one minute and when you think of the scale of that compared to the few plane disasters per year, the odds are on our side!

Also, a stiff brandy or two does help. But NOOOOO don't smoke a spliff. It makes me paranoid! And thats the last thing u want!

A stiff drink and happy Thoughts! smile

RedFraggle Fri 29-Aug-08 22:47:09

I used to take diazepam (sp) - calmed me right down. All I wanted to do was curl up on the floor and go to sleep as opposed to my usual pre-flight routine of freaking out and repeatedly rushing to the toilets to vomit in fear... blush

ConstanceWearing Fri 29-Aug-08 22:48:26

Yeah, I was on the side of alcohol too Minorbird grin Thank you for replying!

minorbird Fri 29-Aug-08 23:11:24

Your welcome, I'm the same! I'll be posting the same thing come december! I like to do a bit of drunken sleeping on the plane to pass the time. Am sure you will have a larvley time! grin

ConstanceWearing Wed 10-Sep-08 22:59:05

Okay girls, in the interests of science, I did a little experiment

Flight out, I was drunk - sobered up half way through flight and was totally terrified for the last hour or so.

Flight back I took 5mg of diazepam just as I boarded the plane. Much less scary experience on diazepam for me.

And look, I went on holiday and I got back - and I'm still alive!!!!! Planes are designed to stay up there after all. The flight wasn't awful, it was my fear of it that was unbearable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now