Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

has anyone any experience of lithium for resistant depression .......

(12 Posts)
blushingm Tue 19-Aug-08 15:30:24

would love to know how your found it helped etc

blushingm Wed 20-Aug-08 08:46:54

anyone??

tiredlady Wed 20-Aug-08 09:07:19

Have you just been prescribed it?

It tends to get used when a trial of a couple of different types of ADs hasn't worked.

I think you'll find that some have found it very helpful, and others have found it useless!

The blood testing can be a pain, but if your psychiatrist has prescribed, it I'd give it a go.

Have you tried other non medical treatments for your depression? Counselling, CBT?

turtle23 Wed 20-Aug-08 09:13:36

First, let me say I am very sorry that you are in this situation and have a big hug.
I was given lithium for my depression 10 years ago and took it for about 6 months. During this time my hands would shake so badly that I found it difficult to hold a pen, and I fell down the stairs twice from wobbly legs. My insides felt like they were constantly burning, had chronic diarrhea(sp?) and ended up having to have surgery to correct a rectal fissure that resulted from that.
I am not telling you this to scare you, it does seem to work well for a lot of people. I just thought you should know that it can be a bit harsh. I was given this after being held in hospital when my therapist decided that I was a danger to myself, and I suppose it did help with the depression in that I was in such a mess I couldn't "indulge" it. I was on prozac beforehand, and the truth is I was so scared that I was going to die from the lithium (oh the irony) that it knocked me back to coping.
I hope that someone else can give you a different view. If you do take this, make sure you demand that your levels are tested a lot. My dr seemed to think that I was exaggerating my symptoms for attention until he finally realised that it had burned a hole in me.
Hope that helps.xx

blushingm Wed 20-Aug-08 15:09:34

ooh turtle that sounds really horrid - i hope your are ok now and big hugs back too

tiredlady - i have tried citalopram and venlafxine and now take fluoxetine with mirtazapine but i just don't seem to be improving atall. I've had CBT which was ok in the fact i need to challenge my negative thoughts etc but i still feel awful. My consultant said that there are 5 routes

1. Talking therapy
2. Anti Drepressants
3. combining of anti depressanys
4. Lithium therapy
5. Electric shock treatment

I've done no. 1, 2 and 3 and so i'm pinning my hopes one lithium as the last option scares the shit out of me - i just think of one flew over the cuckoos nest

I don't know anyone who has been on lithium except one of my parents friend years ago who was a manic depressive and I'm too ashamed to ask anyone in real life - it's bad enough that i bumped into one of the dads from ds school at the clinic and he saw me with my leaflet and going in for a blood test. He also said i need an ecg before i can start anything and to come off the mirtazapine over the next week or so

blushingm Wed 20-Aug-08 15:12:14

the consultant said i needed an ecg not the dad from school - shows you need to read post before posting them grin

ConstanceWearing Thu 21-Aug-08 01:14:13

Electric shock therapy has become very popular with celebs. It's not anything like it used to be, don't panic grin

And apparently it is very effective. So if you find you do have to have it, it may not be so awful as you think ((()))

SuperBunny Thu 21-Aug-08 01:23:41

I know several people who have been on Lithium and who have had ECT. It isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. It would certainly not be my first option but I wouldn't run away screaming if it were suggested and nothing else had worked. It is usually a last resort and can work wonders.

zippitippitoes Thu 21-Aug-08 01:26:06

ffs i would not have the last option ever

i wouldnt have lithium either

i have had

well i guess you cant say for other people

ive had venlafaxine too

zippitippitoes Thu 21-Aug-08 01:32:25

im not sure

i wouldnt have ect even if i was suicidal

in fact as i hate the idea so much im sure i wouldnt

well actually i probably shouldnt say anything further

ConstanceWearing Thu 21-Aug-08 07:25:22

Hope you didn't have a bad experience with it Zippitoes. Sounds like you are perfectly set against it.

blushingm Thu 21-Aug-08 08:19:19

zippi - would you mind me asking why you wouldn't have lithium?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now