Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

panic attacks and anxiety

(7 Posts)
pandagirl03 Thu 14-Aug-08 09:37:36

Well last week i posted as i was feeling really unwell. I went to the doctors he said im suffering from panic attacks and anxiety.

Well i am due to go on holiday to blackpool on saturday with dh and dd. I am getting myself in such a state about going on the motorway. Im so scared that i will have a panic attack on the motorway and we cant stop. Its a 3 hour drive to get there, so not a quick journey. I have been given beta blockers by the doctor, but they are a very low dose. Please help what can i do.

struggleon Thu 14-Aug-08 13:37:39

I don't have panic attacks so not sure what to suggest but the beta blockers should help. I'm assuming your dh will be driving. You could pull over to the hard shoulder if things get really bad but you can't stay there. Would soothing music or a blind-fold help? Sorry, sounds stupid but you may be able to come up with some tactics that might help if the attack occurs. Or could you just avoid the motorway and go on the smaller roads?

This site might be good for advice:

www.nomorepanic.co.uk/

LEMONADEGIRL Thu 14-Aug-08 13:54:17

I have had panic attacks and anxiety for years. The best advice I can give you is to try and learn to breath your way through it. Deep breaths and try and get a good mental image going ( somthing really calming or happy is good.) I get worked up about the smallest of things and although to someone else it may seem really silly to the sufferer it is vey real and scary.

I understand about the journey worrying you. However get some good music, play I spy anyhting to try and take your mind off it. Can you leave early so not so many cars on road? Also try and cut it down into stages in your head .i.e ok now in car - calm and relaxed. 1/2 way there and am calm and relaxed etc- ot sure if that makes sense but thats how I try and mangage a trip somewhere.

Bachs calming remedy works for me and sucking on polos as well.

greeneyedgirl Thu 14-Aug-08 20:26:50

Are you still feeling sick Panda, or has that settled down now?

pandagirl03 Thu 14-Aug-08 23:24:24

Hi greeney the sickness has stopped, just got these panic attacks. Cant believe how much my life been turned upside down in a matter of a few weeks. Lucky for me i have a very understanding dh and he has said not to worry and we can take it a bit at a time. I have to do this for my dd she is so looking forward to this holiday. Cant let her down. I also was looking forward to this holiday until these panic attacks started. Thanks for all your advice any more will be greatfully recieved.

bluejelly Thu 14-Aug-08 23:32:20

I had really bad anxiety early this year, but had 5 sessions of counselling and it has virtually disappeared. I know it's probably not practical to sort before your hols, but I would definitely recommend for the future.

greeneyedgirl Fri 15-Aug-08 12:29:08

Glad the sickness has passed, I'm still suffering a little from it, but I am aware it is caused by anxiety as I can get myself out of it for periods when I am distracted.

I can't give much advice about panic attacks as I don't really get them that much, mine is more generally feeling on edge much of the time. However my sister and my Mum have had bad panic attacks and were told to focus on their breathing and not to look farther ahead than the next 5-10 mins as that starts the "what ifs?" thoughts off. Also to distract yourself is useful, even if it is just making words out of the reg no of the cars in front!!

Just remember, whatever you fear that is going to happen when you have a panic attack, rarely does happen. Just try to relax and face the symptoms and eventually they will ease. I know it's alot easier in theory, but I'm sure you'll come out of this a stronger person than before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now