Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Anyone else have a hubby who has OCD....need to be able to share... xx

(10 Posts)
kinkipinki Wed 13-Aug-08 19:15:02

I've been married for 12 years and always knew about dh OCD. I have always tried to deal with the added stress to daily life this causes and try to educate my growing kids so they understand daddys mood swings and behaviours...but at the moment due to other stresses, hubby going through bad patch .. and thought it would be therapy for me to share with other wives who live with this the way I do...if you are out there would really appreciate hearing from you.

kinkipinki Wed 13-Aug-08 19:59:20

Or if anyone knows of support groups that would be fab!!

kinkipinki Thu 14-Aug-08 22:17:42

anyone out there ?????????????????

greeneyedgirl Sat 16-Aug-08 14:26:14

Try nomorepanic.co.uk. It is a support site for all types of anxiety conditions including ocd, there is quite a bit of info and forums you can ask questions on.

PurpleLostPrincess Mon 25-Aug-08 02:01:56

Hello there, I've come searching this area in need of similar comfort as my DH is also going through a bad patch. OCD is on his list of illnesses including depression/anxiety as well as anxiety and panic attacks. I'm not sure where the OCD fits in - he came home from a session with his CPN and said they had diagnosed him but I don't remember exactly why they came to that conclusion.

I agree that educating the kids can be really hard sometimes and would love to share tips if possible. I generally get on here in the evenings so please don't think I'm ignoring you if it takes me a while to reply. I'm off to study that link for now... Hope you're doing OK? ((((hugs)))) xx

Califrau Mon 25-Aug-08 02:24:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Califrau Mon 25-Aug-08 02:25:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsJohnCusack Mon 25-Aug-08 02:54:11

Hello. My DH has OCD, but not the classic ritual kind, his is to do with obsessive thoughts, which then lead to depression/anxiety. His is generally controlled by antidepressants and he had a longish course of CBT a few years ago which also helped.

it is very difficult to live with sometimes, and actually he is having a bad patch at the moment and admitted to me the other day that he'd been forgetting to take his pills some days - infuriating because I knew there was something up and had been asking him, and he only 'owned up' after a few weeks. he aslo has sleep apnoea and is on the waiting list for a CPAP machine - none of this helps him with his dozy forgetfulness!

has/is your DH receiving treatment at the moment, has he had any in the past? My children are only 3 and 1 and I am hoping I won't need to explain too much as we go on, but there are a few things that we may have trouble with as they get older to do with his problems and I am dreading it a bit.

hello PLP too, maybe your DH's diagnosis was similar to mine in that the OCD was the thoughts that lead to the depression/anxiety?

kinkipinki Mon 25-Aug-08 21:31:04

Hey Purplelostprincess and mrsjohncusack, nice to know I am not the only one. The thing I find most hard is controlling my natural urge to get angry when dh's compulsions are getting in the way of every day life. For example on sat eve, he came home, with fish n chips for all of us to have dinner together, which at the moment is a big deal as he is back working a six day week and never eats with us mon-fri. Anyway he puts the dinner on the counter and then disapears upstairs. I go find him doin out the stationary box in dd bedroom. It may not sound that drastic to others, but someone living with it the way I do, will understand how it grates!!!! We are always late to go out when dh is with us and nothing is simple!!!!

The thing is finances are tough at moment as we have own business, and he is really having to work hard so obviously his OCD is a bit in overdrive. I dont want to take my frustration out on him, or my kids, need somewhere else to release!!!!

Dh is on medication and has had therapy in the past and has improved so much, but just at the moment with outside pressures it obviously begins to rear its ugly head. We both know it will never go away.

My added issue is that our ds of 6, shows real OCD type behaviours and this is what really scares me. There is always something to worry about isnt there!!!!

Tahnks also califrau and greeyeyedgirl...was starting to feel that no-one was going to reply xxx

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 25-Aug-08 21:36:05

my sympathies to you and dh - I have OCD and I know how tough it can be on other halves ! Mine varies but is especially bad when going away - I am anxious for days before and the actual leaving the house is always really difficult and drives dh to distraction. The thread that Califrau linked to is v good - there are lots of us here who understand smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now