Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

seek help or ride it out again?

(4 Posts)
Nanoon Tue 12-Aug-08 13:11:28

god, where to start............I feel so silly and emotional but i need to get some stuff off my chest and i'm sorry if its a long ramble - please bare with me.

I have two DS (3.11 and 8mth)and DH who I love dearly. Sometimes I am unable to cope with DS1 sometimes spitited behavavour and we clash which results in me loosing my temper (i never hit him)which i hate myself for, I am the adult after all and what horrible lessons am i teaching him. DS2 is an lovely baby but i am due to return to work in 5 week time (PT - 3 days a week)and can't bare the thought of being parted from him. I know alot of people feel like this as i did when i had ds1 but at the moment my time with DS1 can be so hard that i feel sooooooo sad that i will get very little time one on one with DS2 (will have both boys at home on my two days off from work).

I have very few friends and constantly feel inadequate and would give anything to be part of a lovely group of friends. I am friendly but worry so much about saying or doing the wrong thing. I feel like people can see right through me and see how axious i feel. I am not really in touch with anyone who has a child the same age as DS1 apart form SIL. We see quite a bit of them and she has invited me one a number of outings during the summer hols with her group of freinds who are really nice but i feel such a charity case i am almost too ashamed to go. i constantly worry about whether they think i am a good mum and doing and saying the right things with DS1.

I am dreading returning to work because in the past i have had what i think are panic attacks where my throast just tightens up and i can't speak - this is very dibilitating in a meeting or on the phone sad. I also feel like i can't breath and my arms go numb. I am so scared that this is going to happen.

It all just seems so much at the momonet, i just don't know where to start to out it right. Am i overreating, will i just be told to pull myself together???

notsohappycherry Tue 12-Aug-08 13:17:38

Go see your GP.
Take with you a list of exactly what you have written here.
To a non-expert it sounds like you have some form of depression, which with medication will probably recede.
There have been lots of posts on this subject, about not coping/feeling anxious/being harrassed. You are not the only one.
Best of luck.

Kiansmummy Tue 12-Aug-08 14:10:47

Please realise that you are a great person who is honest about the common issues we all face as parents!!
I think you are lonely and feel trapped which is leading you into panic and depression.
I believe that you should seek help if you are struggling- I had to go to the gp a few months back as I was suffering severe anxiety which occured not long after the birth of my son I was referred to a counseller ( who had a 4 month waiting list)but since then the anxiety has lifted of its own accord and I dont feel that I need counselling at this moment in time. Recognise that you arent weak as the strongest thing you can do is admit you have a problem and seek help for it!!!
Have you thought about attending mother and baby groups as they really helped me!!! Please believe me when I say you will feel better it may just take some time!!

Nanoon Tue 12-Aug-08 14:30:05

Hi, thanks for your replies. I do think that you are right and i should go and see my GP, its tempting to try and push it all to one side for a time being but i know it will all resurface in time.

I do go along to mum and baby groups and have met a few nice people but most of these are first time mums and its difficult to organise things that will include my 3 year old, as lovely as he is with babies.

I have just made a phone call that i needed to make and i didn't clam up so i feel i have made a minor acheivment today.

thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now