Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

i have a psychiatrist appointment on momnday ...it is supposed to be a once and for all thing...i haven't seen one since the last in 1999

(26 Posts)
zippitippitoes Fri 01-Aug-08 20:49:00

...it is a referral that was supposed to be quick but it has taken im not sure how long maybe 3 months

i feel very uncertain now...

no idea whether i should go really but if i dont thenb i will not be able to do it again

but i dont feel crazy lol at the mo

but if things do go wrong which they could then i might

so totally mad to go and see a psych in case you might need one

mamalovesmojitos Fri 01-Aug-08 20:52:41

do go.

it is very difficult to get appointments as you know.

i often felt silly going to mine years ago on the months that i felt fine. if i skipped it (or stopped taking my ads) i sometimes felt awful the next week and regretted it bitterly.

in addition you often get the most out of the appointments where you're calmer, more lucid, more able to discuss things.

i think you know that yourself though. are you nervous?

zippitippitoes Fri 01-Aug-08 20:55:52

im not sure if i am more nervous about being thought to be wasting his tine or being nuts

and i really dont know what it will be like and its dragging up stuff

basically i am asking someone else to decide in half an hour whether i am normal

mamalovesmojitos Fri 01-Aug-08 23:38:15

well do not worry about wasting his time. he's getting paid, isn't he?

i dont know how much he will be able to go into in a half an hour. i presume he will just be chatting with you with a view to referring you onto to counselling/psychotherapy, to see if you could benefit from being prescribed medication or if you need more time with him.

i dont know if you're having trouble with emotional problems or mental health problems (i mean more of a illness without a cause per se) but it is always difficult going back and opening up old wounds.

but the only way you will move on is by dragging up that stuff. it will be tiring and emotional, perhaps painful. but it will be worth it. it has been for me.

electra Sun 03-Aug-08 07:18:09

Hi zippi, you have waited so long for the appointment, so I would go. Sometimes I feel ok for a time, and then think I've imagined the whole thing. Good luck anyway.

justaboutagrownup Sun 03-Aug-08 07:50:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

oops Sun 03-Aug-08 08:32:50

Message withdrawn

mummyhill Sun 03-Aug-08 08:43:19

Zippi please go and see what they have to say.

I had to wait twice as long as that to get an appointment with my psych and she managed to get my drugs and counseling sorted out a lot quicker than the GP did.

As the others have said it is probably better to go when you are feeling ok so you can talk about what happens if it all goes wrong again and get a support network in place!

zippitippitoes Sun 03-Aug-08 16:29:06

thank you for the replies i am going

but i am dreading it

from experience psychiatrists can be quite horrid

choosyfloosy Sun 03-Aug-08 16:33:39

yes they can

low expectations are good

but you will deal with horridness much better if you are feeling OK, and could then ask if there's anyone else you can see

they can also be absolutely amazing - wouldn't that be great

dh's is fabulous

PCNASWM Sun 03-Aug-08 16:43:11

{{{{{Zippi}}}}}

I too have seen a fair few mental health professionals - and my experiences vary. Do go tomorrow. You are just as worthy of the appointment as anyone else.

Let us know how you get on?

zippitippitoes Sun 03-Aug-08 16:46:19

i am not sure what my gp wroyte him

and hugs back to you all too

PCNASWM Sun 03-Aug-08 16:50:30

Go in with an open mind and see how the conversation goes. ime whever I have 'rehearesed' what to say in my head it has gone completely wrong, so now I try not have any expectations.

I really hope your experience is a good one and good things come out of it

x

zippitippitoes Sun 03-Aug-08 16:52:53

i have decided not to think about saying anything i will just see what he says

zippitippitoes Sun 03-Aug-08 18:09:27

i have found the letter

the consultation is for an hour

quit e long

PCNASWM Sun 03-Aug-08 18:41:03

an hour will be necessary to develop the relationship enough so they can get an accurate picture of things

try not to fret - wnat to share you main fears about the apt?

mummyhill Mon 04-Aug-08 08:02:32

Thinking of you today. Hope the appointment goes ok.

PCNASWM Mon 04-Aug-08 10:01:41

senging you lots of love Zippi

PCx

zippitippitoes Mon 04-Aug-08 10:52:43

i have been

he was lovely

i couldnt sleep last night and then had the most bizarre nightmares about this appointment

he just listened and asked some questions

he asked if i wanted to take anti depressants..no i dont

he is referring me to an anxiety group which is quite quick and for psychology which is quite slow

and i seem him in 3 months but sooner if i want to and i have access to the emergency team

mummyhill Mon 04-Aug-08 11:55:47

Wonderful.

Well done you for going.

zippitippitoes Mon 04-Aug-08 11:58:59

i thought he would say i was wasting time and stuff

but he didnt say anything of the sort

PCNASWM Mon 04-Aug-08 18:02:54

that all sounds v encouraging Zippi

how are you this evening?

PCx

mamalovesmojitos Mon 04-Aug-08 18:39:20

result! delighted for you.

zippitippitoes Mon 04-Aug-08 18:49:10

i am going to get something from tesco i could be tempted by wine

i didnt get the great job i was interviewed for on friday

it has been a strange day

i have to find some sort of strucutre for my days

and i have to get a job and i really dont rate my chances

also i have now started applying further afield aka nearer my bf and not sure i should

PCNASWM Wed 06-Aug-08 11:50:13

zippi - how ARE YOU DOING?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now