Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

advice needed re- citalopram

(25 Posts)
poppypops Wed 30-Jul-08 21:52:01

Was prescribed citalopram today for anxiety/panic attacks,however, sitting here to afraid to take one after reading the long list of potential side effects! The thought of feeling any worse scares me and not sure if i could risk that! Any words of wisdom would be greatly accepted

PCOmNomNASWM Wed 30-Jul-08 21:53:38

it will be ok

honesly

the benfits outway the ppossible side effects

go for it

{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}}}

MrsStig Wed 30-Jul-08 21:55:37

The list of potential side affects is very scary, I agree. However, really you should be fine. The only side affect I had was needing slighty less sleep, and stronger nails,which has to be a bonus, surely?

I did feel sick after taking them initially, by over came that by taking them just before I went to be. smile

MrsStig Wed 30-Jul-08 21:56:38

This is Mumsnet.

What is this {{{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}}?????

MamaGLovesMe Wed 30-Jul-08 21:57:18

I was on citalopram

GP took me off
I was seriously bad

Went back on them

The only side effects I had (which have now stopped) were awful dreams.

Take them, they help

MrsStig Wed 30-Jul-08 21:59:37

I did have some bad dreams (always about children dying) but I've read on Mumnset that is the depression/anxiety comming out. I've come through those dreams now, and actually feel stable. smile

poppypops Wed 30-Jul-08 22:23:03

Did you have the same concerns initially? GP highlighted that it could make my anxiety worse, don't think she really wanted to prescribe them but as it's been going on so long i was keen to try anything

PussinJimmyChoos Wed 30-Jul-08 22:42:01

I was prescribed citalopram 2 years ago for PND (started at 10mg then went up to 20mg). The initial side effects are not nice - I was more panicky, weird dreams and hallucinations - would think my DH or mum was in the doorway and start talking to them and then realised DH was next to me etc. Also used to see figures bending over DS's cot that, when I turned the light on, were not there. However, it was only for a brief period and the benefits FAR outweigh the negatives - which only last a short time.

Please don't worry about it - you will be fine smile

PCOmNomNASWM Thu 31-Jul-08 08:32:25

MrsStig - on mumsnet {{{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}}} represents a virtual hug, and is often written to offer empathy

pops - how do you feel about it all today? I know how daunbting it must seem, but really, the benefits can far outway that list of possible side effects - they only have to put that there because a tiny % of people have had side effects, but there have also been countless people who have not.

Good luck

cremolafoam Thu 31-Jul-08 08:54:25

agree with last post poppypops.
it may take a little while but citalopram will help.They helped me get my life back, after years of feeling panicky, anxious and overwhelmingly sad.
good luck

poppypops Thu 31-Jul-08 09:59:19

unfortunately, was to chicken to take them! Thanks for your comments though. will try again tonight as not feeling 100% today and realise that this can't go on much longer! i would really like to feel like my old-self again

PCOmNomNASWM Thu 31-Jul-08 11:31:33

oh you poor thing. Try this evening. Have a nice warm bath, take one and go to bed.

I understand your anxiety totally, but once you have started it will be fine.

Go for it girl!

PCx

moodlumthehoodlum Thu 31-Jul-08 12:44:24

Poppypops - I have just taken my first one, so we can be in this boat together smile.

I've also read about all the side effects and I have to say that I feel quite sick now, but one thing I have read, and what my GP said, is that the side effects go on for a couple of weeks, and then pass.

So. Roll on a couple of weeks. Its not too long.

MamaGLovesMe Thu 31-Jul-08 17:01:56

In my experience taking the tablets is a lot better than not.

PCOmNomNASWM Thu 31-Jul-08 18:38:02

what a great idea moodlum!

moodlumthehoodlum Thu 31-Jul-08 18:59:01

poppypops I feel fine now. no sickness or anything.

Give it a go. smile

PCOmNomNASWM Thu 31-Jul-08 19:03:59

good post moodlum - and well done you!

rachelgreen Thu 31-Jul-08 22:20:17

poppypops and moodlum, i'm on my second week and am starting to feel more human already - bit of nausea and tiredness but on the whole, feel positive for having started. good luck.

TheodoresMummy Fri 01-Aug-08 09:51:03

I take citalopram.

GP started me on 20mg for 6 weeks. Felt much better but not quite good enough, so she put the dose up to 40mg. Only in my 2nd week of that dose so not much change yet, but hope they will kick in properly in the next couple of weeks and I will feel normal again grin.

Side effects on 20mg - waves of feeling really really really tired, decrease in appetite, waves of nausea (but not sick and perfectly able to eat/drink). Lasted about 1 week.

Side effects going up to 40mg - decrease in appetite.

In my experience it is well worth taking the ADs.

I expect to be on them for at least 12 months, but actually don't care if I need to take them for the rest of my life - that's how much better they have made me feel already !! smile

Good luck !! xx

Squirdle Fri 01-Aug-08 10:46:00

It is worth taking them.

I was on 20mg daily, but on Wedsnesday my doctor increased them to 40mg. I am taking them to get me through something that I am dealing with atm.

The 20mg did make a bit of a difference for me, less anxious etc, but as Theodoresmummy says, no enough of one, hence the increase.

My doctor started me off on a lower dose to minimise the side effects and I think it worked. I felt tired and yawned a lot, but didn't have any other side effects. Upping the dose has again made me quite tired, but I know that will wear off soon.

Other things you can do to help yourself feel better is go for a walk every day. I do this now and it does really help. Exercise increases your seritonin (sp?) levels and helps you feel brighter.

I really didn't want to take AD's but I have realised that if it makes me happier, then it is also beneficially for my family too...

I don't feel guilty anymore for being a miserable old bag grin DH is understanding more about what I am trying to deal with and it is all much better. Hopefully things will get back to normal very soon.

So, take them poppypops...they aren't as scary as they look.

moodlumthehoodlum Fri 01-Aug-08 18:15:44

ooh you lovely ladies it is so good to hear positive stories about citalopram.

I took mine today, and felt a little bit like my mind was elsewhere IYKWIM, but no nausea today. I'm on 20mg.

Last night I did struggle to sleep, but it was weird, I really got the sense that my mind was processing stuff that has happened over the last four years,I was lying in bed recalling things I haven't thought about for years. But it didn't feel like a bad thing, more like brain admin!

TheodoresMummy Sat 02-Aug-08 10:23:47

Some people say that they have sleep probs when on ADs but I have never had a prob sleeping.

Hope that improves for you. smile

Jen1978 Fri 22-Aug-08 21:24:47

Poppypops I am in the same position as you. My gP prescribed these yesterday for anxiety and also recommended counselling. but after reading all this stuff about the side effects plus the withdrawal effects I am really doubting whether i will take them. It has made no difference reading all these threds about people saying "go on, take them the side effects don't last long" but one of my anxiety problems is nuasea and fear of being sick and if they cause these side effects I am buggered!!! I really don't know what to do but would be interested to see how you get on with them.

poppypops Wed 10-Sep-08 15:44:08

Sorry to all who replied a few months ago, i went back to work at this time and have been busy ever since! Off work all week has i had a terrilble bout of food poisioning! Hope moodlumthehoodlum you are doing well after starting your AD's. It was very kind of you to offer to take them together and i should have taken you up on the offer back then instead of still having the same old problems now It would be lovely to hear that your doing well! Anyone else free today to reply? i'm just curious if feeling so crap this week has set me back or i i'm just feeling so horrible and teary because i've been so unwell? Was doing much better until all this but now i feel teary, no energy, can't be bothered attitude, worried about everything and nothing!Feel really low. My initial feelings of anxiety are now replaced with feeling really low! I scored 15 on that scale thing they make you do a few months ago, is that good/bad? Sorry for the long rant

jenny37 Sun 14-Sep-08 22:58:53

Hi ,i started on citalopram 3 days ago for bad anxiety ,i have an 8 week old baby and i feel like i can't be alone with him ,i've suffered anxiety for years and totally recovered but it's come back with a vengence!!Bad timing or what?????
Anyway i'm hoping the tabs kick in really quickly ,i've been on them before and they were amazing so i'm hoping for the same.
I would'nt hesitate to take citalopram ,these pills gave me back my life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now