Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Been released into the big bad world!

(11 Posts)
Spacecadet Wed 09-Feb-05 21:29:48

Well, today I went to see my CPN, whose care I have been under for 4 months now since my diagnosis of PND in Sep and she sent the support worker into see me, who basically said, we are discharging you, we dont think there is any more help we can offer you, we feel that you are getting better, I dont know what to think, wasnt expecting that, I am no longer allowed to go to the groups they offer etc and will no longer see my CPN, feel like I have been abandoned if that doesnt sound silly.

Evesmama Wed 09-Feb-05 21:31:47

sorry to hear that, very un humane to do that..thre are lots of people on here in the same/similar boat, so dont feel you've got no one to talk to

Donbean Wed 09-Feb-05 21:32:14

No it doesnt sound silly at all. It must be a bit scary as well as your "back up" so to speak is effectively gone.
Do you feel better and ready to venture out alone?
You have always got us though you know.

stupidgirl Wed 09-Feb-05 21:34:44

It all comes down to money, doesn't it? Is your gp sympathetic? Could you go see him/her if you're still feeling in need of support?

Spacecadet Wed 09-Feb-05 21:38:50

The support worker did say that they had other referrals, in other words they wanted rid of me.I have more good days than bad, but still a lot of bad days, its been more panic that anything else and sometimes I have several days where I feel like im having one long panic attack.On those days I would ring my support worker up and he would see me.

Lonelymum Wed 09-Feb-05 21:55:01

I am surprised they didn't ask you what you thought of your ability to cope without the support.

MummytoSteven Thu 10-Feb-05 17:40:29

given you are PG I think that they are being absolutely flaming ridiculous tbh. like stupidgirl says, I would also be somewhat suspicious that it is a resources problem. is your HV any good at arranging something for you/finding your groups. alternatively your hospital consultant could put some pressure on as to getting you more support. does your hospital have a disability support midwife? when I had probs with OCD/depression when PG I was referred to her, and could phone her with queries/problems which was very useful.

Spacecadet Sun 13-Feb-05 19:49:59

The more I think about it the more ridiculous it seems, I still need support, the homestrat women came last week and told me that there would be no volunteer avaliable for me for months!!! I have basically just been dumped!!My hv doesnt want to know, she has refused to see me.

MummytoSteven Mon 14-Feb-05 12:05:30

your HV has refused to see you

am appalled. you need more support, rather than less, as PG alone is such a physical/emotional strain. the more I think about this, the crosser I get. you aren't on meds atm, so effectively they are leaving you untreated.

is there anyone who can advocate you/get you through the system. when I had problems my GP was nigh on useless - but the hospital obs/gynae were fantastic, and made sure I got referred to a psych/had adequate support.i know that when you feel rough it is soooo hard to try and fight. if there is anything I can do to help, if you want me to phone someone, let me know. are you still seeing a counsellor?

kizzie Tue 15-Feb-05 10:18:24

Spacecadet - can you go back to your GP and ask what other support they can suggest. I had something similar happen and i really did feel abandoned. If they are supportive they could write to the local mental health team to say that they think you need some ongoing support.
I know its not the same but the Association of Post Natal Illness offer telephone support from people who have been through PND. Might be worth giving them a call?
Kizziex

Spacecadet Mon 21-Feb-05 20:55:33

I have decided to go to the homestart postnatal depression group and see how i get on there.My hv is still refusing to come out to me, she says i am not part of her workload! I phoned the cpn and asked why i had been discharged but she refused to discuss it with me and said that the fact that i had failed to attend the support groups meant i didnt need their help.She ignored ythe fact that i had told her before that i coukdnt go to all the groups as i had childcare difficukties, sigh..i think im on my own here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now