Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

AD's when will they start to take effect

(7 Posts)
gingerninja Wed 23-Jul-08 13:57:00

My DH has just been prescribed AD's and I was wondering how long before they take effect? He can't remember if the Dr said 2 weeks or months.

What is the long term plan for AD use? Can you use them indefinately or is it something that you do in spurts? We have no experience of AD's so have no idea about them.

Thanks

wotulookinat Wed 23-Jul-08 14:31:33

It's usually 2 or three weeks, but I suppose it can vary from type to type and person to person. Which AD has he been prescribed?

ladystardust Wed 23-Jul-08 14:42:45

It will be about 2 weeks before a positive change happens - but bear in mind there may well be some side effects that may make him feel a bit odd for a week or so.
My doctor says that you must take them for at least six months after which point there is a two monthly review.
The last time I took them I had them for six months then came off but the time before that (about three years previously) I was on them for 2 years.
I have heard people say that they fail to have any effect after 5 years.
Both times I felt ready myself to come off them but you must do that under the doctor's guidance.

Good luck. I hope they work for your dh.
I know several people whose lives have been turned around them.

ladystardust Wed 23-Jul-08 14:44:24

OOps meant of course to say

'been turned around by taking them'..

gingerninja Wed 23-Jul-08 15:36:19

Thanks guys, he's been prescribed citalopram. He's also on Amitryptaline for migraine prevention.

I feel a huge sense of relief that he's been prescribed them and am crossing my fingers that this is the turning point he deserves.

wotulookinat Wed 23-Jul-08 18:34:44

I've been on Citalopram since the new year. There will be some side-effects for a couple of weeks, but make sure he keeps taking them. I was unable ti drive for a couple of weeks as I felt drunk (so not all bad then!).
It took about 3 weeks for the positive effects to start, and after a couple of months my doc upped the dose from 20 to 40mg. It has made a MASSIVE difference to my life, and I hope it does for your DH too.
Th side-effects can be un-nerving, but make sure he sticks with it. Good luck smile

gingerninja Wed 23-Jul-08 20:59:58

Thanks for your messages, it's very reassuring. Glad you're all getting the benefit from them too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now