Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Fluoxetine and alcohol - does it make you feel really down?

(3 Posts)
BobDowne Tue 22-Jul-08 20:24:24

I've been taking 20mg of fluoxetine a day for about a year now after a nasty separation.
Recently i've started to have a bit more of a social life, so have been drinking more alcohol.
I find the next day i've often been feeling very down and tearful, even when i had a really enjoyable night out, so there's no real reason for it.

Does anyone else find this? I know alcohol is a depressant, wondered if i should avoid it altogether whilst on the ADs.

WigWamBam Tue 22-Jul-08 20:27:50

It's usually recommended to avoid it altogether whilst on ADs, although some people manage to have the odd drink or two without any great problem.

As you say, alcohol is a depressant - but it will also make your fluoxetine less effective, so might make you feel down and tearful.

whateverhappened Thu 24-Jul-08 20:11:42

I found at first it made me feel awful - for bout the first couple of months. Now I generally stick to just two glasses of wine a night, generally only once a week, and I'm fine with that. If I drink more I usually feel pretty low afterwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now