Talk

Advanced search

Letter re: counselling has arrived in the post this morning.

(56 Posts)
SPARKLER1 Mon 07-Feb-05 12:14:02

Well following on from my other threads have received a letter from GP surgery this morning. They have said that now I have had time to think, if I would like to go ahead with a counselling course to phone them and book an appointment. I feel really nervous now.
I don't know why but I still doubt myself as to whether or not this would help me at all. I keep trying to tell myself that I can get through it by myself.
Sorry to ramble.

SPARKLER1 Mon 07-Feb-05 12:29:00

I think I will book the appointment but I am worried that I'll be wasting someone's time.

Earlybird Mon 07-Feb-05 12:30:23

What have you got to lose? I'd say try it. Most people could probably benefit at some time in their lives from independent help from someone who's properly trained - you might find it more helpful/useful than just talking to a friend or writing on Mumsnet. If you don't like it, or find that it's not helping, you can stop or not go back. I completely understand feeling apprehensive, and I think that is perfectly natural. I've had counselling, and remember very well feeling "oh, is it really that bad, am I blowing it out of proportion", but found the different perspective was invaluable. Best of luck.

mishi1977 Mon 07-Feb-05 12:34:48

Sparkler after the first session you will know if counselling will help u..as for wasting peoples time..they r doing a job and if it will benefit you then its worth it..even if its only for u to find out u really dont want to do it iykwim
good luck and be brave
hugs

SPARKLER1 Mon 07-Feb-05 12:47:05

Thanks everyone. I have to phone them between 2pm-3pm to make an appointment. Got to push myself and make sure I do.

HappyToBeHere Mon 07-Feb-05 12:54:03

FWIW I had one session of (bereavement) counselling a few years ago and didn't continue with them, as I say I just had the one, I bitterly regretted this, as I'm sure they'de have helped me.

SPARKLER1 Mon 07-Feb-05 17:55:33

FFS I forgot to phone them. just thought about it now.

amynnixmum Mon 07-Feb-05 17:58:03

Never mind - do it tomorrow. You will not be wasting anyones time and you deserve to be happy so give it a chance.

SPARKLER1 Mon 07-Feb-05 17:59:23

Hi AMN. Good to hear from you. How's things your end?

amynnixmum Mon 07-Feb-05 18:01:08

Not too bad although DS is about 2 seconds away from being strangled.

Cadbury Mon 07-Feb-05 18:02:48

Sparkler, I've had some counselling through my gp's surgery and found it very helpful. I dont' know your situation but having someone as a captive audience, just listening to you and what you want to talk about for a period of time is worth its weight in gold. I hadn't been listened to properly before or since, by anyone.

blueteddy Mon 07-Feb-05 18:03:42

Wow that was quick!
give it a go, it may really help you (it did me)
I found the first 2 sessions really quite tough emotionally & had to fight really hard not to break down (I try & avoid public crying at all costs.)
But a few more sessions down the line & it became easier & easier.
It made me realise a lot about why I was the way I was & you know that you can say anything & it will not go any further.
My appointment took 8 wks to come through, so your surgery seems better than mine!

SPARKLER1 Mon 07-Feb-05 18:46:09

Thanks everyone. I haven't got the appointment date yet - just a letter asking me to phone the surgery to book an appointment. I've no idea how long it will be before the first available appointment.
AMN - know where you are coming from. Was very close to banging dds heads together at the weekend. They are constantly bickering and winding each other up. Arrrgh.

SPARKLER1 Mon 07-Feb-05 22:20:32

I will phone them tomorrow.

blueteddy Tue 08-Feb-05 17:42:56

How did it go sparkler?

SPARKLER1 Tue 08-Feb-05 20:27:54

I forgot again

kernowcat Tue 08-Feb-05 20:31:07

Hi Sparkler! You sound like me about remember the difficult things!!!!????
Have you had a good day?

blueteddy Tue 08-Feb-05 20:32:30

Can u give them a ring tomorrow?
I was meant to phone my dentist this morning & completley forgot!

SPARKLER1 Tue 08-Feb-05 20:34:38

That's probably one of the worst things I'm finding with this my memory is dreadful.
Not a fab day today TBH but not my worst.
Dh told me to set the alarm on my mobile phone tomorrow to remind myself. Think I shall.

kernowcat Tue 08-Feb-05 20:39:27

If you log onto MN in the morning I'm sure you'll get reminded!!!

blueteddy Tue 08-Feb-05 20:41:12

My memory is dreadful, hence the arrival of 2 children while taking the pill!!!!!

kernowcat Tue 08-Feb-05 20:42:26

My short term memory is virtualy non-exsistent since having them!

SPARKLER1 Tue 08-Feb-05 20:45:19

Glad to hear it's not just me then. I have been genuinely concerned about it - thought something terrible like a brain tumour could be causing it!

SPARKLER1 Tue 08-Feb-05 20:45:30

blueteddy Tue 08-Feb-05 20:47:54

No don't worry!
I forget really silly things, like I will put a tea bag & milk in my cup & then before pouring in the water, I will go to the fridge 4 the milk again!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: