Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

can you drink alcohol whilst taking citroplam?

(7 Posts)
arwen Tue 15-Jul-08 15:56:39

my mum is taking 10mg of citroplam daily and wants to know if she can have a glass of wine in the evening. she has lost the leaflet that came with the medication hence my question. can anyone help?

Thanks

loopylou6 Tue 15-Jul-08 16:59:10

yes thats fine, well i do anyway smile

It won't do her any harm as such, but it can reduce the efficacy of the tablets - because alcohol is a depressant.

LackaDAISYcal Tue 15-Jul-08 17:02:56

I was advised to have no alcohol when taking ADs, at least in the early days as it is in itself a depressant and can counter the effects of the drugs. Was advised that once I was back to some semblance of normal then a glass once or twice a week would be fine. smile

TinkerBellesMum Tue 15-Jul-08 17:23:32

I find that AD's double the effect of alcohol, but the more you drink the more the effect, so not too often or too much is best.

I once thought I can manage 6-8 (back then) pints in a night normally, 3 pints will be ok. I was soooooo ill!

Rhian82 Wed 16-Jul-08 00:00:30

I've always drunk while on anti-depressants (fluoxetine, then citalopram). They still seemed to work fine, though I don't know if they would have worked better if I was teetotal!

arwen Wed 16-Jul-08 10:06:19

Many thanks to you all, she is on hols and I think would like a glass in the evening!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now