Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Is there any point in taking anti depressants if you know why you're depressed?

(18 Posts)
katierocket Tue 15-Jul-08 10:51:00

am bit concerned that I may be 'properly' depressed. Feel horrendously low with black cloud hanging over me and frequently on point of tears. But I know why it is - I have far too much work on to the point of madness, getting married in August so stressed trying to sort out, the usual money worries and (the big one) bloody miserable with where we live (we moved from city to country about 10 months ago).
So really anti depressants aren't the way forward are they? won't they just mask the problem?
Thing is I just feel so bad.

Threadwworm Tue 15-Jul-08 10:53:06

They wouldn't even mask it. I think they only work at all if you actually have a serotonin imbalance that is at least partly the cause of your sadness.

Perhaps the answer might be to suck it and see. Try them for a month or two just in case they help?

ThePettyandIllinformedGoat Tue 15-Jul-08 10:56:10

they may give you some head space to relax and take account of what is behind it all. they definitely help me enjoy life abit more.

good luck

WigWamBam Tue 15-Jul-08 10:57:54

They may help, but only if you are able to take some steps towards reducing the problems which are causing the depression in the first place.

They might allow you a bit of breathing space to see the wood for the trees, though.

Definitely suck it and see. But you'll need to give it more than a month or two before you know whether they are helping at all.

katierocket Tue 15-Jul-08 11:01:59

I'm just really reluctant to take something when essentially I know the reasons why I feel so bad - just not in a position, at least in short term, to change my situation. Can't go round feeling this shit though.

allgonebellyup Tue 15-Jul-08 11:02:04

i have this problem too, i know why i am unhappy.
BUT, the ADs do help me see things more clearly and think about things more positively, thus helping me look towards my future.

They do not get rid of my problem, but i do sometimes worry they mask the thing im unhappy about.
But the problem itself can only be solved once a lot of time has passed - so i may as well let that time be more happy than miserable.

allgonebellyup Tue 15-Jul-08 11:03:31

Can you reduce your working hours even a tiny bit?
IS there any way at all that you can consider moving back to where you came from? (probably not that easy though??)

And you should be looking forward to wedding! can you make it a really small simple event?

zippitippitoes Tue 15-Jul-08 11:03:37

if you are having anxiety attacks or depressive symptoms then ads might help

but they dont mask or blur things really

tranquilisers can do that

it sounds like you would benefit from a coping streategy and support tho

and what a shame getting married is causing problems too..are you definitely happy about that

Tortington Tue 15-Jul-08 11:04:12

we are allowed to be really unhappy and stressed

we are

i dont think knowing the reason for depression - negates the depression.

i don't think we can diagnose depression for you as we are not certified doctors and its on t'internet

but i reckon the first thing you have to think about is

are you depressed?

or are you really unhappy at the moment

they really are different

if you are unhappy, you are allowed to be - its part of human nature

if you think you are depressed.

you need to go to the doctors. they have a "how depressed are you" sheet

and you get a script.

its like saying -i know i have a broken leg. no need for a cast then!

ThePettyandIllinformedGoat Tue 15-Jul-08 11:04:23

you can't go around feeling this shit indeed. have you spoken to a gp?

SJLTM Tue 15-Jul-08 11:10:37

Agree with custardo, Dr had a tick list, i really didn't know how low I had become until I did this, god luck.

katierocket Tue 15-Jul-08 11:10:49

Thanks, this is all really useful.

I know what you mean Custardo and the answer is I'm not sure. It does feel like it's tipped into more than just unhappiness mainly because I feel a huge weight following me round all the time and a feeling of impending doom plus the crying thing (which is not me at all). I think being unhappy about where we are living (and knowing it's not possible to change that immediately) is a huge factor and then working so hard has tipped me over the edge IFYKWIM. As for the wedding, well of course i want to do it and it's not huge but we're sorting it all ourselves so it just feels like another 'to do' list at the moment.

I thikn probably ADs are not the answer but it is horrible feeling so unhinged.

SJLTM Tue 15-Jul-08 11:11:35

sorry, good luck !

piggypoohsmum Tue 15-Jul-08 11:12:13

Try bach remedies from holland & barret or any other health stores.
would suggest you go for the following 3
mustard = tears when not depressed
oak = struggles to limits & pushes on
white chestnut= cant switch thoughts off

and not wanting to cause offencegrin
honeysuckle = in the past rather than present
willow = resentful & sorry for yourself

they are natural and non habit forming and you just take them as & when.
i have used various different ones over the past 5 years instead of AD's.

just pop a few drops in your tea or coffee each time you have on. they are as simple as that.
look them up on the following website
www.bachremedies.co.uk
Hope this helps

cardy Tue 15-Jul-08 14:36:50

Could it be hormonal? Have you recently started/stopped taking pill or anything else that might have effected you hormone balance?

I felt 'depressed' about 4 months after I started on the pill, it went on for further 6 months or so. I eventually stopped gradually things started to get better - not quite that simple but you get the jest?

katierocket Tue 15-Jul-08 14:51:34

No, not taking (or stopped taking) anything hormonal related. I'm pretty sure I know the reason just wish I had a simple cure but I guess of course, there isn't really a simple answer.

cardy Tue 15-Jul-08 16:03:20

then I think it's like Custardo says -
"are you depressed? or are you really unhappy at the moment - they really are different".

Niether should be ignored and should be dealt with differently depending or what your answer is.

You have listed sone reasons why you think you feel unhappy - is there anything you can do about any one of these things that might help you gain a sense of control?

katierocket Tue 15-Jul-08 18:17:15

think I need to start by trying to reduce amount of work, that would help I think (although easier said than done).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now