Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Citalopram and nausea: Any advice to combat this?

(11 Posts)
leakyR Wed 09-Jul-08 22:29:26

I am taking citalopram 10mg for PND. Have been taking them for 6 weeks. Felt distinctly odd for the first 10 days but it settled down. The odd wave of nausea persisted, but for the last 5 days I've felt close to vomiting almost every moment that I'm awake. I have to admit that I do feel better in myself in terms of the depression so I'd like to persevere.

Is this common? Does anyone have any ideas on how to combat/avoid the nausea?

LynetteScavo Wed 09-Jul-08 22:31:07

You could try taking it just before you go to bed, then you will be asleep instead of feeling sick (hopefully)

leakyR Wed 09-Jul-08 22:36:15

I do take it in the evening as the initial weirdness was easier to deal with if I took it before bed. The sick feeling is here all day every day at the moment.

AngeG Wed 09-Jul-08 22:39:17

Hi Leaky,

Glad that you are feeling better in terms of the depression. Sorry about the feeling sick though, that must be horrible. Have you been back to see the GP? Maybe they could give you something to help the sickness?

leakyR Wed 09-Jul-08 22:52:44

Going to GP about something else (unrelated) on Monday so will mention it then. Just desperate to try something before then so I feel better. Also TBH my GP is a dry old stick, serious and unapproachable and utterly devoid of empathy or sympathy. It was tortuous talking to him initially about the PND and deciding what course of action to take. I'm loathe to go back to him saying "the depression is improving but I feel sick" Think he'll have little symapthy.

AngeG Wed 09-Jul-08 22:58:31

Sorry Leaky. Hope GP will be more sympathetic than you think.

What about trying the sickness bands? these

elkiedee Wed 09-Jul-08 22:59:13

Leaky, I assume you've only recently registered but is it not possible to change GP? I know it's a hassle, but you really need someone you're comfortable with in your situation?

mammyjo Thu 10-Jul-08 09:33:14

Hi Leaky. I am glad to hear the depression has improved but the sickness must be so debilitating for you.

What about speaking to your health visitor? I know you are new to the area so may not have come into contact with anyone yet, but mine was an absolute gem in helping me when I had PND following ds a few years ago. They are often able to speak to the GP on your behalf, and may even be able to sort out some sort of anti-sickness meds without you having to go back and see him.

Failing that, is there another doctor that you could see at your practice? An appointment with someone else may be of more help if your GP was not particularly sympathetic.

I know that nux vomica is good for post hangover nausea! (Homeopathic remedy). Maybe something like that could help in the short term at least. Do you have a health shop locally, the staff in my one are really helpful and give excellent advice so it might be worth looking at.

I really hope you can sort something out soon. Look after yourself xxx

CaptainDippy Thu 10-Jul-08 09:44:19

Oh Leaky sad <<<<hugs>>>> MY MIL takes Citalopram, I'll sound her out for you. Think my mum might have some advice too. I'll be back. xx

leakyR Thu 10-Jul-08 15:31:44

Got some nux vom at Holland and Barrett yesterday. Limited success- feel better for about an hour after each dose. Will persevere until Monday. Will try and be assertive with GP.

I used to be assertive hmm

Off to library with grumpster George now. Hopefully the walk will do us both some good.

leakyR Thu 10-Jul-08 15:31:45

Got some nux vom at Holland and Barrett yesterday. Limited success- feel better for about an hour after each dose. Will persevere until Monday. Will try and be assertive with GP.

I used to be assertive hmm

Off to library with grumpster George now. Hopefully the walk will do us both some good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now