Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Can acupuncture help with anxiety?

(5 Posts)
littlewoodster Wed 09-Jul-08 12:31:24

Would really love to hear from anyone who has had a good outcome using acupuncture for anxiety.

Since having my dd six months ago i have been having anxiety attacks/numerous panic attacks. I know it is all related to a bad experience during labour but i don't seem to be able to move on from it. I felt i was doing really well for a few months and thought i was getting back to my old self but had a set back two weeks ago where something really minor occured and i completely freaked out (stung by a bee and thought i was going to have anaphylaxis and die, crazy i know but true). Have been on a downward spiral since. Spoke to my GP again who has now referred me for CBT.

Unfortunately there is a long wait for this so in the mean time i have decided to give acupuncture a go. Have had one session so far and feel a bit more in control i.e first thoughts in the morning so far have not been that today something awful is going to happen to me and i'm going to die etc. Has anyone had a positive experience? Feedback would be greatly appreciated as at the moment all my hopes are pinned on this

Goober Wed 09-Jul-08 12:33:35

I have no experience of it myself, but I know that Hypnotherapy is great for this problem.

ChickenBurger Wed 09-Jul-08 12:35:34

Hi,

I spoke to my acupuncturist about this as DH was a bit anxious. He said that yes, it can help with anxiety - he'd recommend good diet and exercise as well.

Haven't had acupuncture for this particular problem but I did feel more relaxed after my sessions, if it's not breaking the bank I would keep it up.

SenoraPostrophe Wed 09-Jul-08 12:41:44

not it you're anxious about needles...

sorry - really, remember that you're still under the influence of all those hormones, and they do make people overreact to things. What you're experiencing is probably not normal, but it's not as abnormal as you think it is (iyswim)

NKe6c0b95X11bc80a0782 Tue 02-Sep-08 18:38:07

Hi - I don't know whether acupuncture can help with anxiety but someone on mumsnet recommended a brilliant book for anxiety/panic attacks called Self help for your nerves by Dr Claire Weekes. I started having panic attacks about 3-4 weeks ago and had no idea how distressing they could be. Things are easing now and I'm feeling more 'normal' but am still terrified that something awful is about to happen. I can really recommend that book though and you could always ring an acupuncturist and ask if they can help with anxiety. Also, maybe try Alexander technique - it is great for relaxation.

Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now