Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

For everyone putting off going on ADs - PLEASE read this!

(35 Posts)
Flamesparrow Mon 07-Jul-08 17:49:25

The depression is a big part of what is making you wary.

You don't want to admit it is "that bad", you want to bounce back, it is just a phase, "normal" people can snap out of it.

I have now been on them for about 6 weeks, and I feel more me than I have felt in a long, long time - possibly in years. If I can convince just one of you to go to your GP and try them, then I will have done something good today.

They aren't a magic bullet. They won't fix money worries or relationship problems. They will help actual depression though.

Just try.

piratecat Mon 07-Jul-08 17:52:04

second that.

i was on and off them for yrs, suicidal many times.

I wanted to beat it, thought i could be normal.

Its not about 'YOU' not being normal, its about a stupid chemical, that happens to not be in a noraml range within your brain.

I will be on them forever, i have accepted that now. It's so much better treating the depression, the chemical imbalance, and finding out 'YOU' are still in there.

TearsofaPersonalClown Mon 07-Jul-08 17:55:38

Count me in.
Another that will always be on them. I've finally accepted that it's nothing wrong with me in the way I think.
There's no shame in taking iron tablets because I'm anaemic so why should I feel shame to take tablets to even out my seratonin levels.

TrinityRhino Mon 07-Jul-08 17:57:18

I second that

can't see me stopping taking them

its not your fault, its a chemical imbalance
take the tabs

Flamesparrow Mon 07-Jul-08 18:00:58

The only thing I am worrying about is another pregnancy, because I want one at some point, but what happens about ADs? I am thinking wean off them before trying, and then go back on after finishing feeding?

Are the ones you can take during pregnancy really safe?? (I worry about all the other things they thought were "safe" during pregnancies )

TrinityRhino Mon 07-Jul-08 18:04:42

I have ben pregnant and bf 2 of my children for a collective time of 26 months

I couldn't have done it whilst not taking them

It was the only choice I had and they are both fine

Amphibimum Mon 07-Jul-08 18:05:36

i feel the same way flame. i also started about the same time... and they rock!! dp keeps looking at me and saying 'hello you' pointedly. i feel like ive just come out of a long dark tunnel (which keeps reminding me of a cheesy dance track from 92grin)

naswm Mon 07-Jul-08 18:06:01

well said

ADs can really help in the right circumstances

Amphibimum Mon 07-Jul-08 18:07:07

hehehe! am dancing round the kitchengrin

castlesintheair Mon 07-Jul-08 18:09:03

I totally agree: it took me 6 years of umming and aahing before I went for it. I'm coming off them now and feel great.

I want to say what you have said to so many people. Life is too short and there is no need to suffer ...

VictorianSqualor Mon 07-Jul-08 18:09:36

I'm coming at this from a different angle.
I have recently stopped putting some chemicals into my body.
(You may have seen my thread about anxiety in this topic).

Since stopping taking them four(?) days ago, I have changed hugely. Still a bit anxious, but nothing I can't work at.

If me taking those chemicals can cause what they did, then I think it's pretty safe to say that by taking other chemicals we can fix feeling like this too.

I don't think Anti-D's should be the first port of call, but they should certainly be considered, I know if I don't get myself totally back together I'll be straight back to the GP's to get things sorted.

Flamesparrow Mon 07-Jul-08 18:09:43

Aww yay AM!!!

When am I seeing you btw???

That is good to hear TR I know I get antenatal depression, and I don't think I can face going that low a third time

Flamesparrow Mon 07-Jul-08 18:11:20

Yup, I agree about not being the first port of call VS. If your issues aren't due to a chemical imbalance, then they will be sortable via other ways and ADs won't do much good (imo).

yay for you feeling better though

Amphibimum Mon 07-Jul-08 18:12:49

how does friday sound? could come to you

naswm Mon 07-Jul-08 18:12:56

well said again - I totally agree, unfortunately I am still trying to find those other suitable ways, but for the moment, at least, I am trying

moodlumthehoodlum Mon 07-Jul-08 18:16:13

I chickened out of talking about it with my gp today, and at the back of my mind were all the threads about anxiety and weight gain. Stupid I know.

Amphibimum Mon 07-Jul-08 18:17:25

not stupid hoodlum, just part of the problem. smile
make another appt. you only have to talk, you dont have to take anything.

moodlumthehoodlum Mon 07-Jul-08 18:18:35

Thanks. I think I will flip if they offer me any more counselling. Its not for me.

LovelyDear Mon 07-Jul-08 18:20:24

How timely. In April I decided, after 2 years of evangelical AD taking, that i was probably better and gradually stopped taking them. It's 11 weeks now and i feel my old anxiety, irrationality and doominess coming back. It comes and goes, but i'm not my best self anymore. What's good is that i can see it for what it is, and i love knowing that there's a way of fixing it. I just can't quite bring myself to go back on them. I don't want to see myself as permanently 'wonky'. But this thread is helping me enormously. I bet i'll be back on them next time the bonkers thoughts arrive....

Amphibimum Mon 07-Jul-08 18:20:33

took me 2 years to make my doc listen. am like a new woman now.

Flamesparrow Mon 07-Jul-08 18:23:28

Friday sounds fab.

Oh, apart from SEN workshop 1 - 3.30 blush I'm sure Psycho could amuse you though wink

littlewoman Mon 07-Jul-08 19:14:07

Amen to the o.p. I'm on two a day, after only a month, because one a day wasn't touching me (I've been on them before, thought I'd got better, only to become worse again when I'd stopped them).

My house is tidy for the first time in two years. I'm redecorating, and I feel calm instead of anxious. If I have to take 2 pills a day to make this change happen, just give me the darn pills. I was suicidal a few weeks ago.

LilRedWG Mon 07-Jul-08 23:42:45

Good for you ladies! I'm about to start a thread about starting to come off them, but they have held me together many times in the past decade, especially since DD was born.

Keep going - one day at a time!

xx

Flamesparrow Tue 08-Jul-08 07:54:45

<Amphibimum... I have an exam Friday morning blush>

FourArms Tue 08-Jul-08 08:06:20

I also agree with the OP. I resisted AD's after DS1, but really wish I hadn't. Have been taking them for 18m now, and have never felt better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now