Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Most depressing day of the year!

(21 Posts)
SPARKLER1 Mon 24-Jan-05 12:01:19

Watching this morning and they have just said on the news that today is supposed to be the most depressing day of the year. They are going to reveal why in about half an hour. Anyone know why?

Lonelymum Mon 24-Jan-05 12:02:17

Yes, it is a combination of the weather, the fact that everyone's credit card bill for Xmas have arrived by now and something else, I've forgotten what. It was in the Sunday Times yesterday.

SPARKLER1 Mon 24-Jan-05 12:03:21

I wondered if there was a link with christmas. It's one month since xmas eve. already!

Lonelymum Mon 24-Jan-05 12:03:59

Happen to have the paper here with me!

Other factors are it is 30 days since Xmas (not sure the significance of that)
you will have failed in you New Year Resolution by now
and your motivation is at its lowest.

Now you know!

serenity Mon 24-Jan-05 12:05:48

I can understand why, kids were home most of last week as they were ill. I got up and got them ready for school today even though I feel rough (thanks for the lurgies, kids) only to discover school is closed today - I missed the letter when they were off

January is depressing anyway, too far from summer to remember being warm and too far from spring to get hopeful

Lonelymum Mon 24-Jan-05 12:07:22

Well my dh was sacked from his job last week and on the same day my ds broke his arm for the 2nd time in 10 months, so I can't say we are feeling on top of the world right now. Would have been quite chipper for the time of year otherwise.

SPARKLER1 Mon 24-Jan-05 12:09:17

OMG Serenity. I can't believe you got to school and found it closed. Your poor thing!

SPARKLER1 Mon 24-Jan-05 12:10:07

Sorry to hear about dh Lonleymum. I guess he's under your feet at the moment. I hate having dh home unless we are actually going away somewhere. Find I can't get on with anything.

Lonelymum Mon 24-Jan-05 12:16:27

Yes that is the difficulty. It is also why I am on Mumsnet now! I find it hard to get on with all the housework when he is bumming around doing nothing. He was out of work for four and a half months last year so I know I get used to having him around eventually (actually I like it) but I am still at the "hy should I do anything if you aren't?" stage today.

Lonelymum Mon 24-Jan-05 12:17:06

That should say why not hy.

SPARKLER1 Mon 24-Jan-05 12:45:47

yep - weather and money they reckon.

SPARKLER1 Mon 24-Jan-05 12:49:03

Not sure why today - bit like every day isn't it?

HeyEnidYouveLostWeight Mon 24-Jan-05 13:07:05

At least its sunny here today.

February much more crap IMO.

SPARKLER1 Mon 24-Jan-05 13:48:32

Bloody freezing though.

essbee Mon 24-Jan-05 17:13:55

Message withdrawn

SPARKLER1 Mon 24-Jan-05 21:17:48

Essbee so sorry to hear about MIL. Are you okay? <<hugs>>

anyone else think it's true?

dinny Mon 24-Jan-05 21:22:20

my birthday tomorrow - what a crappy day to be born on.

is a low day - ds away, mum here to help me for a week but she has gastro and little ds poorly and unsettled.

SPARKLER1 Mon 24-Jan-05 21:29:02

Have a lovely day tomorrow dinny. x

dinny Mon 24-Jan-05 21:39:16

thanks Sparkler. hoping I will feel happier when I wake tomorrow. if ds and dd manage to sleep tonight, that wld be a lovely bday pressie

essbee Tue 25-Jan-05 00:12:36

Message withdrawn

FineFigureFio Tue 25-Jan-05 07:04:17

well it was very cold

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: