Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

New Years Sulk

(180 Posts)
SPARKLER1 Fri 31-Dec-04 18:35:48

Well - it looks like it's gonna be a typical crap new years' eve. For the last 3 years we haven't seen new year in as we have been very tired and not getting much sleep since dd2 was born. We are feeling a bit more human now and decided to invite some friends over, with their kids, even offered a bed for the night so they could relax and have a few drinks. Everyone either had something planned already or didn't want to keep their kids out late so a couple of people said they may pop in for an hour for a drink instead. Nothing came of it so looks like it's just dh, me and two dds. I know I should be happy with this but kids have been bickering constantly all over christmas and are driving me mad. Unfortunately we have no one to babysit for us so we will have to stay in. dm has offered to babysit for us for a couple of hours if we want to go out for a drink (we would have to be back early) but dh has said that he doesn't want to go out and come back early so he would rather just stay in. A couple of our mates are going into town and have said that we are welcome to join them if we like.
So I am sat here with a dodgy cracker party hat on, lots of chocolate, swigging on a bottle of grolsch.

SPARKLER1 Fri 31-Dec-04 18:37:31

Didn't think it would bother me not going out - but I think I could really do with a good night out tonight.

spacedonkey Fri 31-Dec-04 18:38:56

Why don't you promise yourself a great night out in january when you can get a babysitter? Ime, loads of people with young children do stay in on new year's eve, so you won't be the only one!

SPARKLER1 Fri 31-Dec-04 18:42:01

Thanks spacedonkey - just that I have had such a bad time over christmas - hearing that there are friends out tonight just made me feel that there is a chance of having some fun and some time for myself instead of just being "mummy"

Dreams Fri 31-Dec-04 18:42:02

well i will join you sparkler as i have no babysitter was ment to be going away but have got the flu so i am gutted..........sad old night for me,dp and ds but i might just go raid the fridge for some alchol!!!!! happy new year!!!

Dizzylizzy Fri 31-Dec-04 18:42:46

Sparkler, do you know, you could be me speaking, except relatives wouldn't dream of babysitting for us, I haven't been out since the beginning of October and would love a good night out, dh says if we wait till February he'll take me into town, nice thought, but REEAAAAAAAALLLLLLLYYYYYYYYY want a good night out with girlfriends, falling into a taxi and then the taxi driver helping me to the door (they are mates of mine so I know I'm always safe).

Doesn't look like one is going to happen soon for me though, where are you?

SPARKLER1 Fri 31-Dec-04 18:45:31

hey dizzy sounds good doesn't it - but at least we'll save some money and won't have to big a hangover. Am in Poole. Where are you? (PS did you see my Where are you thread?)

zebra Fri 31-Dec-04 18:47:17

DH & I don't "celebrate" New Years Eve. I hate the social pressure to be silly, get trashed out of your head, stay up until midnight even if you have small children(!!??!!), treat it like it's such a big deal. The bigger fuss people make about it the earlier I want to go to bed.

Dizzylizzy Fri 31-Dec-04 18:47:43

Sorry didn't see that one sparkler, I'm near Leeds so a bit far, i have a large bottle of martini to get through and then afterwards a bottle of cava if I feel inclined .

I live near leeds so a bit too far - bugger {sad]

SPARKLER1 Fri 31-Dec-04 18:50:45

sorry called it "where is everyone"

Dizzylizzy Fri 31-Dec-04 18:52:34

Cheers chuck, I've replied on it.

SPARKLER1 Fri 31-Dec-04 18:52:51

FFS - dh is fed up, cause I am fed up. kids are playing up, bickering and not listening anything that dh and I are asking of them. What a fun evening. I could quite easily go get dressed up and go out on my own.

SPARKLER1 Fri 31-Dec-04 18:56:36

grumble, grumble, moan moan

Dizzylizzy Fri 31-Dec-04 18:56:46

LOL, my two have done nothing but bicker all day too, I took them out for their dinner thinking it would calm then down WRONG, they were brats.

DH is still at work and due home in 10 minutes, no doubt he will be shattered and in a grumpy mood that I haven't run his bath and got his tea ready (he wanted a casserole but I've treated him to some fillet steak which he has to cook himself) and then when he comes down he will complain that the kids aren't in bed. ho hum

SPARKLER1 Fri 31-Dec-04 18:57:50

what ARE we like?

Dizzylizzy Fri 31-Dec-04 18:58:33

I know that I need putting in a bag and shaking up lol

DelGirl Fri 31-Dec-04 19:01:56

well i'd off to go out with you sparkler but i've the most awful back, hip and leg ache today and have just hobbled round sainsburies to get myself some goodies. This is the 1st new years eve i've spent on my own ever but tbh after this weeks events, I can't say i'm bothered. I know come 12 o/c I shall get sentimental over DH though so I may take myself off to bed before then. There's naff all on telly . This time last year I was seeing the new year in in Italy, and next year I shall be seeing it in with my new baby

SPARKLER1 Fri 31-Dec-04 19:02:32

god I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bored

SPARKLER1 Fri 31-Dec-04 19:05:26

right finished the Grolsch - what's next. Having a party all on my ownsome.

SPARKLER1 Fri 31-Dec-04 19:05:50

sulk sulk - gonna pull another cracker with myself

Dizzylizzy Fri 31-Dec-04 19:06:06

Sorry I'm boring you , dh has just walked and in and surprised me for one, he complained as soon as he walked through the pigging door instead of waiting a few minutes, he is now groaning cos he is trying to get changed and the kids want to talk to him.

Hence, one *LARGE8 glass of martini with more martini than lemonade, yum.

zebra Fri 31-Dec-04 19:06:56

Anything good in your cracker, sparkler?

SPARKLER1 Fri 31-Dec-04 19:07:10

cheers dizzy - you are not boring me - you are my party mate - noone else loves me!!

DelGirl Fri 31-Dec-04 19:07:14

yeah sorry im boring you too

Dizzylizzy Fri 31-Dec-04 19:08:24

We THE the New Years Eve versions of Victor Meldrew, I shall now be know as 'Vickie Mildew'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now