Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

sounding off..........

(10 Posts)
forgotmyname Wed 22-Dec-04 11:06:07

why is it that every time my kids talk to their father on the phone, whatever it is that I have done together with my kids he has either done it or his wife has done it and can do it better.

Whatever I do in my life it seems that she has to do too. WHAT IS SHE TRYING TO PROVE????????

Whether it is work, baking, taking them to the park, crafts, hobbies, flying to the moon and back she has done it and done it better!

This is what he says to the kids. Oh.....does that and she is brilliant at it!

Can I not do anything without her copying?

I know... I should feel flattered but its getting blinkin annoying, as if she cannot find a life of her own.

I had a baby, few months later, guess what.... she had one too!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry just had to get it off my chest!!!!!!!

Kids think she is pathetic! They actually laugh and say can we not do anything without them copying.

singsong Wed 22-Dec-04 13:12:46

Forgotmyname I feel bad for you as this situation is clearly upsetting.
Just wanted to ask though if there is any possibility that this behaviour of hers is actually something different to what it appears to be (NOT saying IT IS, because I don’t know her). You say she has a baby but does she have any other older kids? Could it be that she didn’t know how to act around your kids and how to get on with them so she’s copying your wonderful example to try to make friends with them? Whatever her reasons are this behaviour is very silly but if she is doing it to try to be nice to your kids (and avoid wicked stepmother image) that would make her a nicer person IMO compared to if she is doing it purely to out-do you as if it’s some kind of competition.
I am not in your situation but as my parents split when I was tiny and I grew up in a two family situation (mum and stepdad/ dad and stepmum) I know things can get awkward. When my dad met my stepmum (I was about 7) she had no kids and tried very hard to be nice to me (not in the way of trying to out-do my mother though). I get on well with all my parents and step-parents now so I am lucky I guess.
Anyway just my thoughts but they may or may not apply to your situation. Some people ARE just plain annoying and I have certainly met people like this who have to do everything better than you (although not in the parenting world, just life in general).
Really hope everything works out ok for yours and especially your kids sake.

forgotmyname Wed 22-Dec-04 13:41:44

Thank you, yes that could be the case and I am very flattered if it is, but considering some of the things she has said to my kids about me I would very much doubt that this would be the case.

They have tried very cleverly but subtly to turn me into a monster.

My ex has always been one for outdoing people.

So I feel it is just a follow on from this to be honest.

I wish that your suggestions were true.

Rogue Wed 22-Dec-04 13:45:39

maybe say you did something totally out of the norm and see if she copys like ....eeerrrrrrrrr... parachuting......all the best let the kids have a good giggle

juniperdropofbrandy Wed 22-Dec-04 16:25:17

pmsl rogue, I was just thinking the same thing. Tell her you've done the living room up in total burberry

juniperdropofbrandy Wed 22-Dec-04 16:25:59

Or you're having a colonoscopy

appologies to anyone having one, they're blinkin awful.

SuzyStockings Wed 22-Dec-04 16:32:43

She obviously feels inadequite. I would just pity her and let your kids laugh at her.

SuzyStockings Wed 22-Dec-04 16:33:43

Actually having said that, it must be difficult being a step parent perhaps she just wants the kids to like her.

Better to have a step mother like that than one that goes out of her way to make the kids miserable - perhaps.

Flumberrysauce Wed 22-Dec-04 16:35:05

Why don't you tell them you've been to the north pole. Good way of getting rid of her for a few months.

forgotmyname Thu 23-Dec-04 10:40:34

Hey great suggestions!

Thanks will give some a go, did think of telling them I fly to the moon and back quite regularly!

Kids seem to get on with her which is nice although she is on their backs quite a bit.

Kids just dont like it when she runs me and hubby down. But they are great kids and tell me "everything!"

Thanks all of you for giving me a good laugh!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now