Talk

Advanced search

When to increase dose of citalopram?

(6 Posts)
Justsmileandcarryon Sun 15-Nov-20 14:22:03

I've been on 10mg citalopram for 6 weeks now and although I have noticed a difference, I still don't feel normal. I have suffered massively with my mental health and anxiety. Never ever been this bad before so I'm not sure if its just because it got so bad or if its not enough? I'm worried about the side effects of increasing too.. if I increase, will it be like starting all over again? I have been horrendous with sickness each morning and also tiredness which the nurse said is all part of the stress. Ive also taken diazepam when I've had really bad days. Thanks for any advice x

OP’s posts: |
justchecking1 Sun 15-Nov-20 20:20:05

It would be worth increasing the dose from now.

Side effects tend not to be dose related with citalopram so you shouldn't feel worse if you're already having side effects.

I would have expected those side effects to have improved by now though, so it might be worth asking if you can swap instead. You can also try taking it at night so the worst side effects disappear while you sleep, but it does interfere with sleep for some people if taken later so see how it affects you.

justchecking1 Sun 15-Nov-20 20:21:00

It's definitely the tablets causing those effects, is it? Not pregnant or anything?

Whererainfalls Sun 15-Nov-20 20:38:00

I think citalopram can take 6 to 8 weeks to properly kick in for somme people. I'd give it another month at your current dosage and see how you feel then. Unless you feel really suicidal or something.
FWIW, I increased from 10 to 20mg of citalopram after a year and didn't have any of the side effects I did at the start.

Justsmileandcarryon Mon 16-Nov-20 08:16:59

Thank you. Definitely not pregnant and I've just started cerezette (contraception pill) as well so its hard to know whats causing what. I changed from sertraline to citalopram. I have noticed an improvement (i couldn't get off the floor at one point) but i was hoping i would feel fine by now?! The nurse thought the sickness and tiredness is due to how low ive been feeling and its the body way of trying to calm me down x

OP’s posts: |
User258544 Mon 16-Nov-20 09:23:42

I was tired for 3 weeks or so on citalopram.

Also worth looking at magnesium. Antidepressants, like most drugs, lower magnesium levels which in turn can cause that antsy feeling. I had more magnesium rich foods and an epsom salt bath and feel much calmer.

You could try 15mg for a week, if you are worried about side effects.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in