Talk

Advanced search

Risperidone, bleeding, lactating...any experiences?

(4 Posts)
BillStickersIsInnocent Tue 27-Oct-20 08:42:08

I’m on a small dose of risperidone alongside an SSRI to help with an OCD relapse. Started them a week ago.

I knew risperidone can cause breast changes and lactation but I honestly feel like I did after giving birth and ready to breast feed. I’ve also started bleeding which I thought was an early period but I think now is just bleeding.

Does anyone have any experiences to share? Will it get better or is this how it’s going to be?

OP’s posts: |
Theodoreb Tue 27-Oct-20 14:58:01

I've been on three anti psychs which caused lactation one of which was risperidone I'm afraid in my case it didn't improve. However with anti psychotics I've always experienced less frequent periods.

BillStickersIsInnocent Tue 27-Oct-20 15:59:23

Thanks @Theodoreb. It’s strange because I thought prolactin suppressed periods, which is why I was surprised to start bleeding.

Thanks for sharing your experience with lactating.

Did you find an anti-psych that worked for you?

OP’s posts: |
Theodoreb Tue 27-Oct-20 20:47:05

Both olanzapine and haloperidol have worked for me but the olanzapine while it kept me stable for nearly 5 years caused too much weight gain so switched to haloperidol which is brilliant as well although not quite as effective.

I too am surprised you bleed a lot that has never been my experience I know I'll get slated for this but my ovulation cycle is so small I'm able to go without contraception at least for the last 5 years without catching.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in