Talk

Advanced search

I don't know if this is depression....

(3 Posts)
Mammia123 Tue 06-Oct-20 15:14:29

Ok, I really don't want this to come across the wrong way or anything.

I don't know if this is depression or something else and would just like some help as I can't go on feeling and acting like this.

Basically, my partner cheated on me a year ago. Not long after I gave birth to our first child. So since then I go through phases were I will be absolutely fine, life's great! Then something will hit me and I think about all the bad things in life, that have happened and that may happen in the future.

Can you become depressed from being cheated on? Is there help out there for this type of thing?

I don't know much about mental health and I really don't want this post to seem like I'm taking the piss or anything as I've never spoke. To anyone about the way I'm feeling as I feel I sound stupid being so stuck and depressed about something that's happened and my decision to stay with him.

I understand I can leave him and maybe this feeling will go but I can't leave him. He's the love of my life. We've split up before and I was a wreck. I can't even go into how I was feeling at the time bevause I'll be here all day but I really wasn't in a good place.

I was thinking about cbd oil? Has anyone tried that for this type of thing and does it help?

I'm just looking for some advice as I'm stuck feeling like this on my own.....

OP’s posts: |
pattam Wed 07-Oct-20 14:44:12

It's natural for our mood to fluctuate and it sounds like you've been dealing with a lot, with a young baby and the upset and worry with your partner.

It's so important to make time for yourself and do things for you. I can hear how much you love your partner, but it sounds like at times things are hard and you might have lost some trust in him. It might be worth speaking to a counsellor alone or together about what has happened between you both.

Local mental health services are available and you wouldn't have to wait as long because you have a young child. But they would likely offer CBT to manage your mood, whereas it sounds like you think your depression comes from the cheating.

(I don't know anything about CBD oil I'm afraid.

PlanDeRaccordement Wed 07-Oct-20 14:50:59

It’s natural to have fluctuating mood from happy to sad. Depression, as in Depressive Disorder, is more when you constantly feel bad and nothing ever lifts your mood, not even the things that usually would (ie your baby laughing). And when you seem ok to others around you, you are wearing a mask and faking it because on inside you are miserable.

So I don’t think you are as bad as clinical depression per se at this time. But I do think you are dealing with the trauma and stress of being cheated on and staying with the cheater. That is going to add tension and a constant worry to your life which over time rears it’s ugly head. So, it could become depression if you did nothing, but you’ve noticed this early and that’s good because it means you can get counselling or a support group to address this and process what happened so you can move on healthily.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in