Talk

Advanced search

Anxiety-when to seek professional help

(4 Posts)
Stationclare Thu 03-Sep-20 11:32:42

Hi
I am 49 and never really suffered with MH issues until approx 1 yr ago.
Gradual anxiety thats worsening.
I manage to hold it together really and no-one would know.
Primary school age dc and older one too.
Work(stressful job). Various hours.
Happy relationship
I can't explain the anxiety but it's awful.
I've been self medicating on and off all this time.with 5htp. Also take Vit D. And ive been also been using Dhea as some kind of hormonal support.

I'm thinking is it premenopause, though periods are ok and no other symptoms.
I've just had a week off work and definitely feel better (as it's one less thing to think about) but due back tomorrow.
I cant face it
Hate my job anyway
If I go if sick though will I be more anxious when I do go back? Plus i will lose money as i have a lot if overtime lined up. I was hoping tp use this extra cash for some home improvements.
I've told one friend who said i should see GP.

I'm ok in myself on a day to day basis and wonder if I'm just overthinking this?? It's so hard!!

OP’s posts: |
nothingcanhurtmewithmyeyesshut Thu 03-Sep-20 15:34:52

Seek help when it starts to affect your day to day life. Or when you have more bad days than good.

I sought help when I realised that I was late for work every day because I was deliberately procrastinating to put off the stress of the morning routine and when I once, on a whim decided to keep a tally of how many times a day I thought, even briefly, about killing myself. When that tally hit 27 I started looking seriously for a therapist.

Stationclare Thu 03-Sep-20 18:37:31

Omg sounds awful

I dont Feel depressed. Not suicidal. I'm happy. Just so anxious nearly every day in some shape or form.
I'm dreading work tomorrow.

OP’s posts: |
nothingcanhurtmewithmyeyesshut Thu 03-Sep-20 18:49:50

See if you're feeling dread on a daily basis I'd start looking for help. Is it just your job or do you think it would be the same for any job? You don't want to leave it until things get really bad because unless you are able to pay to see someone privately, you'll wait for ages. Anxiety is easier to treat the earlier you intervene. You don't want to end up like me, waiting so long for any help and now I have it, I barely have the energy to engage with it. And I have to pay privately for it. Not that I'm bitter you understand? grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in