Talk

Advanced search

Is it important to know who your parents are?

(3 Posts)
Otik Fri 24-Jul-20 19:32:49

There is a question over who my biological father is. No one knows this except me and my mother. I have never wanted to know. My 'birth certificate father' died when I was 5.
But a year ago my teens started asking questions about my childhood and past (which I never talk about). Alongside that my close group of friends have been having ancestry DNA and talking about heritage. They have started strongly suggesting I do it but one of my many reasons for not is it would show who my biological father is. They do not know my reasons why and it is sometimes difficult to say 'I'm just not interested'.
I am approaching 50 and I feel both this is why I am starting to want to know but I also question why at this age I should care.
As I said no one else knows hence asking here. Would you want to know? (Maybe I should also add the man who might be my father was abusive.)

OP’s posts: |
LucyLocketsPocket Sat 25-Jul-20 00:22:45

I think I'd want to know. Sorry that this is an issue for you.

SoMuchToBits Sat 25-Jul-20 00:27:02

I would want to know. I do have a friend who did Ancestry DNA test a few years ago and discovered her father wasn't her biological father (she was donor conceived). It threw up a whole load of problems for her.

So be careful if you want to investigate this.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in