Talk

Advanced search

Anxiety : what were your symptoms and what helped you?

(6 Posts)
Vampyhooch Wed 22-Jul-20 15:24:16

Going through this myself right now and wondered what symptoms other people got? Mental emotional and physical ones?

What helped you get over your anxiety? Meds, self help or therapy?

OP’s posts: |
FirstTimeMother88 Thu 23-Jul-20 11:47:32

Mine are blurred vision, lightheaded, feeling "out of the matrix/ numb" and I don't go hungry at all. I eat my food but I don't have hunger.
Anxiety is a horrible thing, what are yours?

Vampyhooch Thu 23-Jul-20 12:11:06

FirstTimeMother88

Mine are blurred vision, lightheaded, feeling "out of the matrix/ numb" and I don't go hungry at all. I eat my food but I don't have hunger.
Anxiety is a horrible thing, what are yours?

Hi hun.

I’ve had a huge amount of symptoms because of it.

Physical symptoms things like racing heart, headaches, pins and needles in my arms and legs, jelly legs, funny vision. Feeling uncomfortable in my own skin and wanting to jump out. Feeling sick & not wanting to eat.

Emotional symptoms hopelessness, lack of emotion towards those close to me, feeling frightened, scared etc.

For me the mental symptoms are the worst. The inability to concentrate. The constant brain fog. Not feeling like ‘me’ - depersonalisation and derealisation. Not being able to connect with those around me.

When you say feeling numb do you mean your emotions feel numb? Things around you don’t feel real or how they used to?

Vampyhooch Thu 23-Jul-20 12:11:56

@FirstTimeMother88 just replied above but forgot to ask How long have you suffered with it and has anything helped you?

FirstTimeMother88 Thu 23-Jul-20 13:33:05

Oh I have all those mental symptoms! Many a time I've cried to my husband and said I wish I could just have the physical!
All started 9 months ago with the birth of my little girl. Think I have PTSD & then I've had a lot of problems with my health due to her since... liver damage, bladder damage, excessive period blood loss... this is accumulated into me having my first panic attack which turned into derealization. I don't have them anymore but I am just always numb, not hungry, mentally exhausted and the fog! So much fog!
It makes me have adrenaline which makes me lightheaded and blurred vision. Each new day is different haha.
I'm unable to try ADs as my liver is so unhappy. Nothing is working as yet, I just have to rationalise with myself in my head a few times a day.
Have u found anything that helps?

Vampyhooch Thu 23-Jul-20 15:20:41

@FirstTimeMother88

Yes I often say to my partner I’d take the physical over the mental symptoms anyway! They are so dehabilitating.

Sorry to hear you’ve had such a rough time. Have the doctors suggested anything to help?

For the mental symptoms I find trying to stay present as much as possible helps a bit although hard when your mind is racing 24:7 with intrusive thoughts and worries!

I rung my local crisis team last week as it was all getting a bit much and I was feeling too overwhelmed - they got in contact with my doctors and they prescribed me a few diaZepam tablets to tide me over while they decided if I could start antidepressants because of a heart arrhythmia I have.

The diazepam have really helped just take the edge of a bit but now running out and scared to start the sertraline they’ve given me.

I’ve got 3 children and it’s really heartbreaking not being able to interact with them properly like I used to. Just feel so detached from everything.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in