Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Does excersise really help?

(6 Posts)
Alambil Sat 29-Sep-07 00:12:55

am just wondering - do I wait til the personal trainer sessions are under way (if excersise really helps) or go back to the GP ?

am not on anything at the mo but the foggy, crying for no reason, inability to sleep then wakeup in the morning is all coming back and i just want it to stop

so what should it be - excersise or ad's ?

hatwoman Sat 29-Sep-07 00:18:29

doesn;t have to be an eithre or. there's no downside to exercise. try it. fresh air too. imho running outdoors, or failing that walking, is the best. how about setting yourself a deadline. eg try exercise for a week (?), and if no change go to GP. [but go earlier if you get worse]

Alambil Sat 29-Sep-07 00:23:56

yeah, could do

think it's just a bad day that has kicked me RIGHT off the radar or head-above-water

SunnyJaamy Sun 30-Sep-07 01:02:42

I have suffered from depression in the past and often coped by getting some excercise. Whenever I am unable to excersise for a while (as I am at the moment) I feel the sad moments coming back and find myself staying up most of the night and not wanting to get up in the morning.

I find excercise time a great opportunity to just switch off from the outside world and think things through. Kind of lets my brain put things in perspective while the rest of my body is otherwise engaged.

Also stops me heading for the biscuit tin!

HTH, Lewis

Alambil Sun 30-Sep-07 19:23:24

Thanks, that does help

I am seeing the personal trainer once a week (as well as other excersise during the week) for the next 12 weeks or so ... am hoping my mood will improve as the weight comes off (have 8 stone to lose... will make a huge difference in my quality of life)

Thanks for the input though - appreciate it

yogimum Sun 30-Sep-07 20:05:59

When my first husband left me I was terribly depressed. I was a personal trainer at the time and exercise saved my life. I used to run everytime I felt down. It stopped me from hitting the bottle and it helped me feel good about myself again. Take one day at a time and good luck. xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now