Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Has anyone had any experience of Mindfulness Meditation?

(12 Posts)
ruby7 Tue 18-Sep-07 15:26:32

Just interested. Am reading about it and going to give it a go.

Cappuccino Tue 18-Sep-07 15:26:56

isn't it something to do with raisins?

ruby7 Tue 18-Sep-07 15:28:12

That's the one! That's part of it. It's about watching your thoughts and letting them go. About being in the moment. Supposed to be brilliant for anxiety and panic.

Cappuccino Tue 18-Sep-07 15:30:16

yes my therapist told me about the raisin

I haven't been very good at it as yet, I end up feeling silly

I do have a book about 5 minute meditation which would be fantastic if I could actually find it...

ruby7 Tue 18-Sep-07 15:43:51

I've got LOADS of books on everything. Just sit there reading, and not actually doing. I'm really going to try this. It's 45 minutes a day though. God. When am I goign to find that. And more importantly how will I stay awake?!

Cappuccino Tue 18-Sep-07 17:01:10

oh please let me know how to do it

would be fascinated

Bessie123 Tue 18-Sep-07 17:03:04

is that the meta bhavna? I did it at the E. London buddhist centre in Bethnal Green a few years ago, and it was great.

jeangenie Wed 19-Sep-07 12:10:48

my brother was trying this - he suffers from bipolar and found it very helpful

ruby7 Wed 19-Sep-07 12:27:32

I'm trying to find out all i can about it. I'm at my wits end trying to get to grips with my chronic anxiety and my meds don't seem to be working anymore.

It seems to be very very effective. Seems to take time though. How long did it take for your brother to feel the effect jeangenie?

And I haven't heard it called that bessie - is it all about the moment?

jeangenie Wed 19-Sep-07 13:09:08

well I think he found it fairly helpful from the outset, because it provided him with a different strategy for coping with his anxieties. He had been going weekly for acouple of months when he felt the start of what would have normally been a "bad" episode but through his counselling and the mindful techniques (and his cocktail of drugs no doubt!) he managed to get through it
I think it sounds really good

Bessie123 Wed 19-Sep-07 15:05:17

ruby, yes. You have to focus on your breathing and letting negative feelings go. You start by thinking positive thoughts about yourself, then about someone close to you who you are v fond of, then a friend, then someone you know, then someone you don't like. It sounds silly, but you leave feeling really good (and positive).

ruby7 Wed 19-Sep-07 16:25:48

sounds good. I don't think that's the same as the course I'm looking at though. This is all about accepting negativity and 'going with the moment'. Not sure how it's supposed to work but it seems to getting results.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now