Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Citalopram and dealing with anxiety when I come off it....

(5 Posts)
housemartin Tue 28-Aug-07 12:21:48

I have been taking Citalopram for post-natal depression, and it has been fantastic. I have realised that it has also helped immensely with my general anxiety levels which I have always had. (I just didn't really realise how bad it was until it went away!)

I think I will be ready to start decreasing the AD dose soon, and my GP is talking about it. Before I go back to him, I was wondering if anyone could give me advice about ways to deal with my anxiety, which I am fairly sure will return when I stop the Citalopram. I am talking about jittery feelings, feeling of impending doom, slight OCD - if I don't do something things will go wrong, have I locked the door, etc, OTT phobia of wasps blush (we currently have a nest just outside the kitchen window and I just don't CARE - bliss...)

Jackaroo Tue 28-Aug-07 15:53:08

lol House - I know that feeling well........

Have you had any therapy/counselling? in MVHO, that is the best way to go. After 2 years of drugs and therapy I'm feeling OK coming off the drugs.. and anxiety not rearing it's head in a huge way..... except today, but that might be because I'm a year older hmm

housemartin Wed 29-Aug-07 09:51:07

Thanks for that. I had some sessions with the practice counsellor before I tried the ADs, but it was a bit hit and miss. Maybe will try again. Did you go private?
I'm hoping too that my new laid-back attitude will stick even after I've stopped taking the citalopram - it's great to hear that you feel better even after coming off the ad's.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY for yesterday, by the way.

ruby7 Wed 29-Aug-07 17:32:30

Hi House

What dose are you on?

It's amazing and wonderful when they work isn't it? Such a relief!

I am still trying to work out how to be anxiety free without drugs, so interested to hear what other people say.

housemartin Wed 29-Aug-07 20:03:57

Hi Ruby. I'm on 30 mg. 20 worked for me at first, and then after a month or so stopped working, but putting it up to 30 has seemed to be fine.
The depression made the anxiety worse, but it's something I've always lived with. I can see it more clearly now it's not there. Funnily enough, I can also see that my Dad and my sister suffer from it too, so, nature or nurture, it's quite ingrained. I'm thinking of trying hypnosis - only because I did a short course once and I think it can be effective for some things. Any other suggestions would be helpful...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now