Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

fluoxetine versus citalopram

(18 Posts)
turquoisenights Sun 12-Aug-07 11:18:08

i had been prescribed citalopram a couple of years ago but because of its side effects i was scared to take it.
i have anxiety, worry based depression i guess which went on long time.
a month ago i said i had enough and went for fluoxetine (20 mg), but now my gp says he sees me more edgy.
what shall i do now?
thanks in advance.

turquoisenights Sun 12-Aug-07 11:23:32

while taking ad's i feel like the relation between my body and my mind going off.
like, the other day i had a long walk feeling well in nice weather, and having no other transport means.
but later suddenly my feet started hurting, and its been 2 days now there is a small pain and swell which makes walking a bit hard which is bad because i am a single parent.

turquoisenights Sun 12-Aug-07 11:27:19

while taking fluoxetine i feel a bit more happy, more able to do stuff, but feel like more panicky especially in the mornings. my gp is not happy with it, he says i look edgy.

turquoisenights Sun 12-Aug-07 11:37:56

sorry if all these sound a bit weird.

Yorkiegirl Sun 12-Aug-07 11:40:17

Message withdrawn

MellowMa Sun 12-Aug-07 11:41:58

Message withdrawn

turquoisenights Sun 12-Aug-07 11:48:01

i took it for 4 weeks yorkiegirl, last night i skipped for the first time, reason is gp doesnt like it, and my feet worried me.
i asked him about citalopram, he said they are similar drugs.
he said he will speak to a psyciatrist and see me again next week. he doesnt want me to take anything i guess. and if he is going to give anything else he is going to do blood test again. i had 2 blood tests in the last couple of weeks. he prescribed a med for high blood pressure as well, mine is high, i dont know if any of the test related to that medication. but i think its too much blood tests, what do you think?

SixKindsofCrisis Sun 12-Aug-07 11:52:05

Fluoxetine is Seroxat, isn't it? GPs are more cautious with it because of the reported difficulties in some patients. I took it a few years ago and found it the most helpful of the various ADs I've used. Citalopram is regarded I think as a 'safer bet.

turquoisenights Sun 12-Aug-07 11:52:28

the strange thing is one of the side effects of blood pressure med is anxiety and depression. i asked him if it was the best for me, if i can take them together, he said yes at that time.

turquoisenights Sun 12-Aug-07 12:00:03

so, i would like to know: what is each ad( fluoxetine and citalopram) prescribed for?
thanks.

turquoisenights Sun 12-Aug-07 12:02:43

did you experience the same feeling as the relation going of between your body and mind, i mean your body functioning more and yr mind late to feel your body tired-hurt etc. while taking fluoxetine or citalopram?

MellowMa Sun 12-Aug-07 13:28:50

Message withdrawn

MellowMa Sun 12-Aug-07 13:29:39

Message withdrawn

turquoisenights Sun 12-Aug-07 23:30:45

maybe i tried to mean; fluoxetine is giving too much energy maybe over the limits of body. how can i say? for example that day i felt like i could walk all day long, but my feet suddenly start to hurt after about 1.5 hrs. i am a good walker, but that day i walked more than usual, and still i felt i could walk more. its hard to explain i guess.

turquoisenights Mon 13-Aug-07 00:37:39

bump

frapachino Mon 13-Aug-07 06:44:21

are you manic? Ask your gp what exactly he means, perhaps he thinks your bi-polar and need different meds.

MellowMa Mon 13-Aug-07 10:18:24

Message withdrawn

turquoisenights Mon 13-Aug-07 13:12:14

what is manic frapachino?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now