Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

History of D in family - and ds (2yo) is behaving in similar ways

(9 Posts)
WaspElly Sun 01-Jul-07 22:52:12

Out of 5 cousins on my fathers side 3 have had depressive episodes/on ADS currently and my brother is just emerging from his latest 'down' period, so I'd say we are definately 'high risk' genetically.

My little boy has just turned 2 and is playing/behaving in very similar fashions to my younger brother, and, being close to my bro (and human!) I really wouldn't want to wish anything like that on my boy.

Does anyone know of any tips/ behaviours that we should encourage/discourage as ds is growing up?
Any tools to help him through later life?

Any suggestions/books/research would be greatfully recieved...

BBBee Sun 01-Jul-07 22:53:03

can you really see signs at 2?

WaspElly Sun 01-Jul-07 22:54:45

well he's showing interest in things/reacting to situations/people in the same way as my brother and if you can have a 'personality' from very early on - why not?

WaspElly Sun 01-Jul-07 22:55:28

not meaning to be precious about it - just cautious!

UnConfident Sun 01-Jul-07 22:57:24

I wouldn't be looking for signs of depression in a 2yr old!!

Sometimes if you look too close you can find things that aren't actually there.

Chill out, let him have fun & enjoy being 2. Relax a little & enjoy your wonderful little boy instead of being on the lookout for signs

CarGirl Sun 01-Jul-07 22:59:34

work on building his confidence and let him express his emotions - read "how to talk so kids will listen and listen so kids will talk" he's too young for the book to help much but it gives good insight into what parents do & say and what affect it has on our dc.

issyissyissy Sun 01-Jul-07 23:01:10

Do you think he is simply displaying similar behaviour traits rather than the starting of depression.
I think he is too young for real depression. Try to teach him to deal differently with events. He will learn most of his behaviour and reactions from you.

SanetJvv Sun 01-Jul-07 23:05:47

Dont you think that maybe by growing up with your brother it could have affected your way of looking at your boy, and that maybe you must go to your HV or GP to discuss your feelings and fears with them. Maybe he do need some help but maybe you need some help or just a little support. It must have been very difficult growing up with your brother.

WaspElly Sun 01-Jul-07 23:05:56

Thanks - mainly what I thought, I just don't want it to slip past us, as my parents are so distressed at having to watch my brother get through it, as am I.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now