Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

5HTP for low mood

(15 Posts)
DownButNotOut1 Sat 11-Aug-18 18:19:22

Does anyone have any experience using 5HTP to treat depression? Did it work? What dose did you take? How long did you take it for before you noticed any improvement? Would you recommend it?

My GP has prescribed an SSRI but has agreed that I can try using 5HTP first to see if that makes a difference.

I'm confused about the dosage. Online suggests that you need to take at least 150mg a day for them to be effective, but the 50mg tablets I have say not to take more than 2 a day. Surely it wouldn't hurt to take 3?

RightyHoChaps Sat 11-Aug-18 18:31:57

5 HTP is used for comedowns quite often. It replaces your serotonin levels as taking MDMA basically diminishes the supplies you have in your brain. Generally, it's only meant to be used in short term I think. Anti depressants are much better for an extended period of time.

I don't see why you can't use it as a bit of a boost first though? I'd be way of exceeding the stated dose on the bottle unless your doctor advises otherwise.

I hated taking anti depressants but accepted that sometimes they're needed temporarily whilst I get into a better place. Been on them since i was 18. I then tried Insanity workouts 3 years ago and I have not been on anti depressants since. Also, stopped taking my pill. I find that hormonal contraception really fucks with my mood. Apparently it's quite common... maybe look into that too?

DownButNotOut1 Sat 11-Aug-18 18:47:29

Thanks for taking the time to reply smile

I'm not on any contraception at the moment (unless you count avoiding sex grin). I'm 7 months postpartum and had my first period a couple of weeks ago, so it's possible my hormones are everywhere because of that. Although I've been feeling "up and down" for a while, the last month or so has been more down than up.

I plan to just try taking them for a month or so and see how I feel. I think a lot of my low mood is circumstantial so not sure how well anti-depressants will work. One of the circumstances is that I've been unable to do any sort of exercise due to injury. I'd love to do the insanity workouts!

DownButNotOut1 Sat 11-Aug-18 20:59:22

Bump.

TheMarbleFaun Mon 13-Aug-18 20:34:04

Did you start them yet OP?
I plan on starting with 2 x 50mg 5htp tomorrow so I was wondering how you were getting on?

nofriendinneed Tue 14-Aug-18 00:16:49

TheMarbleFaun, which brand are you going to try? Thanks.
I am also starting from tomorrow, still need to buy.

I did some research and it seems like 5htp can help with depression and anxiety, so it's worth a try. Thanks and hope it helps you both.

TheMarbleFaun Tue 14-Aug-18 07:53:01

I’ve bought Natures Way brand £9.99 in Boots
Yes definitely worth a try so we’ll see

DownButNotOut1 Tue 14-Aug-18 08:10:53

Hi both. I bought them from Holland and Barratt, £17 for 60 tablets. I've been taking two a day (in the morning and evening) since Friday.

I actually do feel a bit brighter, especially today. Not sure if it's a placebo effect but even if it is, I'll take that!

Let me know how you get on?

TheMarbleFaun Tue 14-Aug-18 10:18:39

So is that 4 tablets in total then Down?
How many mgs?

DownButNotOut1 Tue 14-Aug-18 12:30:03

No, one in the morning and one in the evening. They're 50mg tablets but I'm not sure if 100mg/day will be enough, various online sources suggest you need at least 150mg.

TheMarbleFaun Tue 14-Aug-18 15:06:02

I’m going by this which is from Patrick Holfords book (can’t remember the name)

nofriendinneed Tue 14-Aug-18 15:59:15

I read 5htp gives vivid nightmares. Makes me a bit nervous about taking it.
Has anyone had nightmares with anti-depressants too? I am trying to figure out if I am better off with a mild dose of SSRI.
Thank you.

DownButNotOut1 Tue 14-Aug-18 17:02:15

No nightmares for me (so far) and I don't remember ever having any when I've taken antidepressants in the past.

nofriendinneed Sun 19-Aug-18 21:45:25

Thank you Down.

I took my first pill of 5htp (50mg) today afternoon. I feel nauseous and have some sort of tingling and weakness in my arms (like nervousness).

I am surprised how strong such small dose can be to cause these side affects. My mood is okay, it was okay even before I took the pill.

How are you both feeling?

TheMarbleFaun Mon 20-Aug-18 07:57:02

I definitely feel calmer and no side effects
I’ve been taking one in the morning and one at night
Hasn’t helped my sleep though sadly

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: