Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Antenatal depression?

(5 Posts)
mrsm12 Sat 11-Aug-18 18:10:00

I suffered from post natal depression on my last pregnancy but didn't get help / admit to it until my dc was 1. I'm currently 27 weeks and feeling similar again. I just feel flat and either cross and angry all the time or crying. I'm going to talk to my midwife next week but has anyone been through the same? Can it be treated now? I'm worried I'm going to lose this babies newborn days in that fog again. Any advice appreciated.

sureitsgrand Mon 13-Aug-18 22:21:29

Hi, just saw this. I had pre natal depression. It began as you described and got progressively worse. I sought GP advice and was referred to local mental health team. Was put on 20mg Prozac which helped. It lifted when baby arrived. I'm better since but it seems to return if I come off meds. So I'm staying on them. They just help me be myself and its a low dose.

My advice is get treatment asap. Wishing you the best.

mrsm12 Tue 14-Aug-18 09:42:07

Thanks sureitsgrand, seen the consultant yesterday and she was just lovely, referred me to see a psychiatrist and he will decide on meds then. Glad I talked about it (although sobbed with the odd comprehensible word was more accurate) and am starting to get sorted.

pickledmommy Tue 14-Aug-18 10:16:22

I had pre and post natal anxiety and i didn't seek any treatment until well after DS had been born as i didn't realise pre-natal anxiety was a thing! It sounds as though you've got some help lined up which is great. I found counselling helped me so much, it's good to talk about it and i hope you start to see a way though it all.

MindBodyChocolate Tue 14-Aug-18 10:18:03

I’m glad you’re getting help. I had ante and post natal depression and it was shit. You’ve done the best thing for yourself and your baby in asking for help.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: