Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

citalopram experiences please? Just been prescribed it for anxiety with depression

(3 Posts)
Mummyoftwo28 Wed 13-Jun-18 22:19:56

I'm 19 months into post natal depression. Having cbt and my therapist suggested I see my GP for possible medication. My GP has signed me off work and prescribed citalopram at 10mg to start with aim of increasing to 20mg after a few weeks.

What are your thoughts and experiences? How long did it take to work? Did it take anxiety and depression away?

DontMentionTheWar Wed 13-Jun-18 22:22:15

One of my relatives is on 40 mg for anxiety and depression and it has been a lifesaver. Much, much better and enjoying life again. They were previously on Setraline which was also good but stopped working so effectively after a few years.

thesnapandfartisinfallible Sat 16-Jun-18 21:12:59

It worked for me but made me hallucinate. Very peculiar seeing things that aren't there, especially when you KNOW they aren't real. You might have to go through several meds before you find one that suits you. I'm on my fourth one now and about to change again as it's making my thoughts of suicide much stronger. I thought I could handle it but my poor long suffering physio spent his lunch break talking me down off the metaphorical ledge and I've finally admitted defeat and getting them changed again. Don't suffer with severe side effects, ok, don't be afraid to go back and say "these aren't working out for me, can I try something else?" You have to give them a good chance obviously but don't make my mistake.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: