Talk

Advanced search

Coming of citalopram

(2 Posts)
Bearfam Wed 13-Jun-18 20:59:12

Thanks for reading this and any support you can give. I've been taking 20mg of citalopram for 4.5ish years. I wouldn't have described myself as depressed for quite a long time which is why I started taking it. However in the past year my anxiety has been getting worse. I've decided to stop taking citalopram because I know it can cause anxiety as a side effect. So I feel I need to come off them to see if my anxiety is linked to citalopram or not.

My GP recommended that I reduce my citalopram to 10mg every other day with 20 mg in between. I've been doing this for a week then went to 10mg most days and 20 every 4 to 3 days.

I was feeling pretty OK with a bit of a wobble when I had an argument with my partner. But today when I got in from work I just started feeling really panicky. My partner is working away so I think this could have triggered it.

I'm feeling really disappointed in myself and quite scared that such strong feelings can hit me out of nowhere. I'm not even sure I know what I'm looking for by posting. Just feel rubbish and wondered if anyone else has these experiences coming off citalopram an having anxiety. How long did it last?

melse2964 Thu 14-Jun-18 00:40:54

Hi Im currently on citalipram and been taking 20mg for almost3.5 years... However last year i suddenlnly stopped on my own because i felt they wasnt doing anything and i didnt want to takemeds for life, but it was the worst thing i done i was so low, feelings of suicide, didnt want to leave the house, was panicky and had panic attacks everytime the door knocked or phone rang. So in the end i went to see my GP i sed i feel like these tabs arnt shifting my anxiety, so hes put me on beta blockers propanalol 40mg as well as my citalapram and it really helps made me a lot calmer, less worried etc..because sometimes our bodies become immune to the medication.. xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: